Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal all lights off!

RobMorland
4: Newbie

Hi there

My Sure Signal has just stopped working.  Before this it had worked fine since January.  On switching on this morning only the power light came on, nothing else.  No change after 2 hours.  I have tried the reset sequence (hold reset button, 10 secs, power off, 10 secs, power on, 10 secs, release reset button) but this doesn't appear to breathe life into it.  Now all the lights are off.  The network connection is working fine through it, but no mobile signal.

I see from Jenny's 'Lights and Sequences' post that neither of my light combinations (just the power light on and all lights off) are in her 'full list of different light sequences' so I'm not sure what to do next!

Model: 9361

Part No: 3JR09113ABBA

I hope someone can help!

Rob

27 REPLIES 27

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
It might not be in the list, but that was one if thelught sequences in the instruction manual (I am a manual hoarder, because I'm incredibly skilled at breaking things!). It essentially means it is trying to establish a connection, so is perfectly correct after a reset/restart, and can take several hours to go through, so not to worry yet. However, it also doesn't guarantee everything is fixed, as if there's a problem with the ISP blocking it somehow then it'll eventually fail, same if there's a fault with the unit itself it with Vodafone's servers (although that at least us less likely since otherwise loads of the rest if us would be getting the same drop out).

OK guys, my Sure Signal has now been sitting with the power light on and internet light flashing for neary 48 hours after reset.  These is still something wrong somewhere.

Here is my tracert:

C:\Users\Rob>tracert 212.183.133.177 Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 10.153.48.1

2 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms cmbg-core-1b-ae2-3972.network.virginmedia.net [6 2.253.128.229]

3 9 ms 11 ms 9 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43 .163.145]

4 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253. 174.18]

5 28 ms 27 ms 26 ms ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]

6 25 ms 26 ms 24 ms 85.205.0.86

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete. C:\Users\Rob>

What do we do next?

Rob

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

If you are using one of the Virgin Super Hubs, can you check the Security -> Firewall -> VPN section to see if IPSec Passthrough is active.

I can't remember if it needs a tick in the box, or a tick removed... either way reverse the current selection, save the config, reboot the router, then the suresignal... See if it kicks into life.

Thanks for the suggestion on IPSec Passthrough.  I checked the Virginmedia Superhub and in fact it didn't have the firewall enabled as I am using Windows firewall, so the IPSec passthrough box was greyed out.  To be sure I enabled the firewall and then checked the IPSec passthrough box, reset the Sure Signal and waited.  Unfortunately, 8 hours later still just the power light on and internet one flashing.

I think it is unlikely that it is anything at my end, as nothing has changed and the Sure Signal worked fine for more than 6 months until I started this thread a couple of weeks ago.  That's assuming there isn't a fault with my Sure Signal.  Can you confirm that you can talk to my unit and there is no hardware or software fault with it?

I really need to get this fixed now as it is affecting my business.  Please help me find the solution!

Rob

grolschuk

Not being VF staff, I don't have much chance of helping other than suggesting random settings to check.

Matt_B should be back to check on this thread, as he said to get back in touch if it didn't re-connect ok, so hopefully he'll be around to help you soon.

The fact that it worked fine for 6 months and with nothing changing it stopped is a bit odd. I can't think VM would have stopped anything at a network level.

Unless they have opted you into the advanced dns helper and that is messing around with things?

https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings you can try turning it off here I think.

Thanks for taking the trouble to contribute grolschuk, it is much appreciated!

Yes, I will wait for the Vodafone people to help me fix it.

Rob

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RobMorland.

It's worth checking that the following ports are open:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 212.183.133.177-179
  • 212.183.133.181-182
  • 212.183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds will factory reset the device. This will trigger the software reload and profile sync to the Femto.

I would also try with a different Ethernet cable.

So we can rule out a fault with the Sure Signal, please try this at a different location such as a friend or family members.

DaveCD

Thanks DaveCD.

I think I will need a bit more help with this.  I can see a Port Blocking dialogue on the SuperHub where I can 'add a rule'.  The information required is Name, Start Port, End Port, Protocol and IP Address, the latter being pre-filled in as 192.168.0.???.  There is a Port Blocking Rules list which I presume will be populated as I create the rules.  This has check boxes for Enable and Disable

Do I need to create 10 new rules, one for each of the ports you listed?  And what information do I put into the fields listed above, including the IP Address one?

For the IP Addresses to be allowed, I can see an IP Filtering dialogue.  Is this the right one to use?  This has an option to 'Add Filter Range' with IP address from and .  Do I need to complete three of these, one for each of the IP addresses you list?

If you can help me to do this correctly I am prepared to invest the time in it, but I'm uncertain that this will fix the problem as nothing has changed at my end and I don't understand why all this additional manual configuration is now needed.  I can't believe that every Virginmedia customer is suddenly going to have to do all this.  Surely it would be quite beyond many consumers?

I will also try using another internet cable and plugging the Sure Signal in at another location.  Does it need any re-configuration for use in another location, or should it just work when plugged in and (presumably) reset?

Rob

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Rob,

I'm afraid any support with using your SuperHub would need to be picked up by your ISP.

You'll only need to test on an alternative connection for an hour or so. Let me know the outcome when you've tried this and an alternative Ethernet cable. :Smiling:

Cheers, 

Ben

OK guys, I think I have eliminated anything to do with my home network or Virginmedia from my fault.  I have had my Sure Signal plugged into another broadband connection, which is 200 miles away from my home and is on BT DSL.  It has been operating for over 10 hours since being reset.  It is still sitting with power light on and intenet light flashing.

If there's nothing wrong at your server then my conclusion is that the Sure Signal unit is dead.  Do you agree?

Rob