Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 connectivity issues

dave3005
3: Seeker

Hi,

Is anyone else having connectivity issues on their galaxy S5, i've been having them since day one and gave up with the constant troubleshooting and repetive sugegstions about 6months ago but am getting annoyed by it again now and determined to finally get my phone functioning as it should!

I already completed the network troubleshooting questions previously before i get asked again. and the issue seems to be with maintaining a stable connection. My signal checker says i should get network at my work and girlfriends but it either never has signal or when it does it seems to keep swapping between network towers and getting H H+ 4G (if i leave enabled) and then loosing connection as it swaps. Wonder if there is anyway to stop it trying to swap network so quickly incase this is problem (forced 2g is too slow to test (0.1Mbps down 0.01 up, and 3G keeps swapping between H and H+ and back again, which is when i usually loose connection for a while), 4G seems good but as i only get 1 bar it looses it quickly and again i loose connections. FYI when i am on H or H+ i usually have 3-4bars so not sure why it swaps so much and connection so patchy. HELP PLEASE!

Any help or new suggestions would be nice, i have even upgraded to latest andorid updates OTA since last troubleshooting problems and issues persist, and also factory reset it as knew i be asked to and same problems. Tried checking APN settings and refreshing these and no luck.

EDIT:

Since starting this thread,

-I have done all the troubleshooting again multiple times,

-Tried a new SIM card

-Sent my phone for repair (no problems found)

-Factory reset phone multiple times and ensured on latest firmware

-Contacted vodafone multiple times who "investigating areas" but never find a problem apparently or claim they recently fixed issues in areas dispite me tellign them there is still a problem.

23 REPLIES 23

@dave3005

The 3G coverage at DA7 6HZ is very patchy. I wouldn’t expect you to be able to pick up a consistent 3G signal here.

The same can be said (although to a lesser extent) about DA1 4PG.

You say that you get 3-4 bars. Is this 3-4 bars of 3G coverage?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes I do get almost max bars on 3G a lot of the time but it seems to swap intermittently down to 1 bar. Usually it settles on 3 bars when on H+ it just won't keep its data connection and seems to keep swapping to H instead even if there's a good connection and I am using internet. If the case is that I just have poor patchy connection in all the areas I use my phone then surely this would be something that needs addressing by Vodafone?

@dave3005

If this is happening in all area that you use your phone, then this would indicate an issue with your phone, rather than an issue with the network.

Please try your SIM in another phone and let me know how you get on.

Hi,

I already tried different SIMs, as stated earlier in this thread.

I tried a SIM from a different network (EE) and was connecting fine the whole time, so i though it was a SIM issue which is why i then got a replacement SIM from vodafone but the issues persisted.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dave3005 – As Wayne advised above, if it’s happening in all areas and not specific locations, this won’t be a network issue. You may need to arrange a repair.

If it’s only certain locations, we can look into this further, however the postcodes provided here have very patchy 3G coverage and this looks to be due to general coverage and not a network fault.

If this is happening at home, you could buy a Sure Signal, as this would provide you with 3G.

dave3005
Hi, yes it looks like that's going to have to be my next port of call then. How do I go about arranging a repair then as I don't know of any Samsung shops anywhere around my area so assume it will have to be done through vodafone directly?

Yes I have looked into them but they were around £100 each when i checked before.. and I would need one at my home, work and girlfriends to maintain a decent connection so this wouldn't be a valid suggestion and that would be something I'd expect vodafone to provide for free if their coverage is at fault (that's not my fault, when the coverage checker I used prior to taking my contracts said I'd receive coverage everywhere and I don't)

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dave3005

To arrange a repair you can either pop into a Vodafone store or call 191 to arrange a postal repair.

We're always looking to improve coverage for our customers. Please keep checking the coverage checker for upgrades in your area.

Just to update i got my phone back from repair and was told there was no problems with it and their tests showed it to be working perfectly, and to take issues up with vodafone again..

I have tried going though webchat and phonecalls and still no further along getting this resolved. The reception in my areas are just terrible full stop it appears and something needs to be sorted!

I just wish vodafone would stop messing me about and take some responsibility finally.

@dave3005 - Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you're still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you as soon as possible.

I've already done this and posted this only a few posts above..

Post Title: 'First half of post code - Area' e.g. ST1 – Stoke-on-Trent

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? No, just a few ones i am always at. If i travel a few hundred metres away I may be alright?

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

DA7 6HZ and DA1 4PG

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

YES

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

-Loosing internet all the time at DA7 and sometimes calls if bars swap to anything other than H+

-Loosing phone calls and internet all the time if i get any bars reception at all, at DA1

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? ALL.

4G seems better for internet but reception too poor so gets lost constantly, H+ ok'ish but again looses constantly and H and edge hopeless and doesnt get any connection generally. DA1 i'm lucky if i get anything at all.

6) When did you first notice this issue? day 1 of vodafone contract

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent in these areas, with this intermittent fault, constantly loosing reception.. occurs all day but reception comes and goes- other areas where theres good reception maintain connections.