cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband 20% slower than BT - can I use Connect box with BT Modem?

displaced
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've 1 week into my Vodafone Broadband service.  So far, I'm feeling a bit mixed on whether to cancel.

My issues are:

• Downloads are ~20% slower than BT Infinity.  I'd get a solid 5 megabytes/sec downloading from Steam - sometimes as high as 5.7MB.  This now 4-4.2 megabytes a second.  Same PC, same software, connected via Ethernet.  Only change is broadband supplier.
  • Vodafone Connect box drops its VDSL connection.  Not often enough to be a real pain, but my old setup on Infinity using the EchoLife VDSL Modem and my Airport Extreme as PPPoE client would usually go weeks between PPPoE session drops/VDSL disconnects.  The Vodafone box disconnects on average 5 times a week.
  • Not being able to use my own kit.  I'll keep requesting this via Live Chat and hope I can get someone able to help with providing the PPPoE login.  So far, I've been hitting a wall of "It's against our policy".

Mainly, I'm annoyed about the speed drop.  20% is a fair drop, considering the physical line has not changed.  

Just a thought -- can I reconnect my BT-provided EchoLife modem, then plug the Vodafone Connect box to that via the covered-off WAN ethernet port?  I'd really like to find out if the slow connection/line drops are due to the VF Connect's modem.

3 REPLIES 3

robhingston12
1: Seeker
Vodafone sky Talktalk etc its all using a BT LINE...
it's all working from a BT line there should be no difference, are you using a different router

@robhingston12 wrote:
Vodafone sky Talktalk etc its all using a BT LINE...
it's all working from a BT line there should be no difference, are you using a different router

Yep -- that's exactly my point!  When I was with BT, speeds were ~20% faster than I'm now getting with Vodafone on the exact same physical line.  And yes -- I'm using a different router -- unfortunately I have to, since Vodafone allow nothing except their own shonky Vodafone Connect router.

Anyway, I've since had a chat with the Broadband Tech Team, who are generally very nice, competent people.  Apparently, the modem is still training to figure out what speeds are stable on my line.  They've logged that I'm seeing slower-than-expected speeds and asked me to call back on Thursday if speeds do not improve.

(Also, I asked about using my own equipment and mentioned that some on this forum have had their PPPoE details given to them.  Apparently that's now been tightened up, and giving out the login is now a disciplinary offence for them!  Come on, Vodafone, don't be so daft.)

Retired-Viki_R
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @displaced

As we aren't part of the Broadband team, we wouldn't be able to give you accurate information regarding connections, please speak to our Broadband team via Live Chat for help with this.

Thanks,

Viki