‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Area: SK5 Stockport

Phone: HTC Desire HD

Suresignal: V1

Since Tuesday 23rd August I've had sporadic problems with making outbound calls via sure signal - have to dial several times before call connects (just custs off the other times, never rings)

I'm also missing critical calls and have several times been suprised to find a voicemail and the phone has not rung - so it's not simply an outbound issue with Sure Signal - it's inbound too.

This simply is not good enough - either acknowledge and offer assistance (Customer services offers the reboot, power down, reset etc etc etc which has already been tried etc etc etc).

If this continues much longer (and the reason for a Sure Signal was dire reception without it..) I shall be asking to terminate my contract with no penalty as Vodafone are not providing a valid service.

Thanks.

I got a free Sure Signal with my phone upgrade and received it yesterday. It doesn't work: I'm getting the call failed errors on outbound calls and hardly ever receiving an inbound call - callers just get put to through to voicemail straight away. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps on this forum, except contacting customer services, which I'm going to do now.

Unless this is fixed I, too, will be returning the Sure Signal and the new phone and cancelling my contract.

So the problem isn't specific to iPhones.

Stockportmatt  are you getting this problem using your HTC?

All we can do,seemingly is wait - surely whoever took ownership of this problem must be getting copied in on every comment made on the thread,but chooses not to keep us informed of progress on a solution.

Are 'they' actually working on one? I doubt it.

I've just been looking at their webpage advertising the sure signal,I think the guy in the picture has a sure signal installed & is having the same problems as we're all having:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/network-and-coverage/sure-signal/index.htm

The slogan should be:

Sure Signal

Our solution to your signal problems is only the start of them™

Another dissatisfied customer, Same thing here,very varied connection via suresignal,usually no out going calls or straight to voicemail on incomming calls. SS has been working fine for 12mths and now this. No wonder work is quite at the moment..have tried un reg and re reg but to no avail. This also affects the missus's phone too and 'oh' she aint a happy bunny. VF get this fixed now or you will have 2 fewer customers very,very soon!!!!!!!

I'm surprised that most users here think it's iPhone related -we have two Android devices and Blackberry all affected in our house, cant make or receive calls. Tried all the usual stuff -  resetting SS and router, cables etc. This is the third time we've had a serious fault - either dropped calls ro no service at all - and it's notable that every time the SS has been working fine then bang it falls off a cliff - but each time it seems like we users are to blame. Surely it must be obvious that there has been a central change in the network that is causing these widespread faults? Why can't you back that out? 

To be honest, sure signal is just too technical and I couldn't recommend it to a non-technical user. Definitely not plug and play.

Both my husband and I are having the same problem. My husband has the call failed message then redial will work which is the same as what happened on my iPhone 3GS but I have just had a iPhone 4 and that's worse takes forever to get to ring out and misses a lot of incoming calls. Had the ss v1 for nearly 2 yrs and everything has been fine till about 4 months ago. I've had 2 turn off 3G on my phone just to recieve and make calls and turn 3G back on when I leave the house. It is not a problem with the phones as calls work first time when away from home. This problem needs to be fixed soon cause it isn't fair when paying so much each month.

Hello,

I know this has been posted by others before but in the last 48 hours my Sure Signal has been causing problems intermittently with making and receiving calls. Apart from the periodic problems reported here with sure signal from time to time the system has worked reasonably well since I got it. These problems appear to have started in the last few days.

I have had the same broadband service provider (BT business) for 2 years and the Sure Signal for nearly the same length of time. On looking back at my broadband speed history the download & upload speeds have remained reasonably constant over that time ( apart from the normal daily fluctuations ). Average download speeds are in the region of 4 Mbps and upload speeds .37 Mbps.

The sure signal is showing steady lights on 1, 2 & 4. ( I have the one with 4 lights )

For about every 6 outgoing calls I am getting 4 showing "Connection error"

I don't know how many incoming calls that are failing but the ratio when I have phone my mobile from a landline is about the same i.e.. abouit 4 out of 6 calls failing.

I am using a Nokia N97 but have tested with my sim in another phone to eliminate the phone as the problem.

I have reset both my router and the sure signal several times (sometimes out of desperation).

Several calls to Vodafone technical support have been fruitless and a complete waste of time on one occasion being cut off after 35 mins. I have been told that they have re-synced the unit ( 3 times ). Vodafone technical support have told me that the problem is with my upload speeds. I find this hard to believe as our records show that these have remained fairly constant over the last 2 years, unless of course Vodafone have made alterations to their system which now requires higher upload speeds.

As this is a recent problem and the sure signal is working fine for internet access and I appear to be receiving txts ok I am beginning to suspect that the problem is within Vodafone's system.

I have been a vodafone customer for nearly 20 years but I am rapidly coming to the end of my patience.

Can anyone here from Vodafone provide me with a sensible answer and a solution ?

Thank you

I have exactly the same problem. I suspected a SIM Card Error but now I'm beginging to wonder if it's something to do with Sure Signal or Vodafone itself.  I rang customer services (in India), waste of time, just gave me instructions on how to extend the time before voicemail cuts in.

Hello chunkyis,

It's very frustrating. If only Vodafone would acknowledge that there is a problem.

Out of interest how do u extend the time before the voicemail cuts in ?

Thanks,

Pappin

Welcome to the Club!   :smileyhappy:

Check the thread on "Called failed message on outgoing calls"....seems this is now a well-known and ongoing problem with Suresignal which Vodafone are choosing to ignore!    No proper acknowledgement of the issue, no customer support, nothing!  :smileymad:

Parties in breweries come to mind?