Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Getting a contract with Vodafone

WarrenHill
1: Seeker

Having arrived in the UK in December 2018, one of the last things to tick off my "to-do" list is to get a mobile phone contract for work.

Having been a client of Vodacom in South Africa for over 20 years I approached Vodafone ... what a disaster!!

For 3 weeks I have been given the run-around and ended up going into a store today only to be told that I do not have a credit rating and the next time I can apply with Vodafone is in 3 months time.  

So Vodafone rely on Experian for credit checks and I was previously directed to Experian to get their input and this is when it was suggested that I go intoa store, with all my back-up documentation to apply.

I have:-

- Bank account with HSBC with overdraft from day #1

- Lease agreement for my apartment

- Contract of permanent employment showing a mobile allowance of £65.00 per month

- Biometric Residence Permit

- Confirmation of registration with NHS

- Confirmation of registration as a voter

- UK Drivers license 

- Letter from employer confirming employment and package

Yet with ALL of this Vodafone does not recognise me as a worth while customer?

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @WarrenHill

I suspect the reason here is insufficient UK credit history to base the check.  This is where sometimes a credit card and a bank loan is not such a bad idea, the repayments get marked against your credit history and this help build up your credit rating.

Unfortunately, now you are going to need to wait 3 months before reapplying, this will give you some time to build a some credit history and give creditors something to go on when searching.

As you have already found Experian are there to help and will be able to give some help and advise on building up your credit history.

BandOfBrothers

It's not that they feel your not a worth while customer @WarrenHill but instead a criteria has to be met before they'll accept a person as a Pay Monthly or Sim only customer.

These contracts are a long term and expensive commitment and as full contracts include a phone they have to be confident the person requesting a contract fulfills the criteria.

As the various Vodafone networks across the world are not linked unfortunately your past record with your previous country wouldn't count.

Perhaps go on as a Payg customer and then when the criteria has been met you can apply to switch to Pay Monthly and retain the Payg number .

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.