Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC M8s problems

atyno12
2: Seeker

Just bought the HTC M8S thinking it was as good as the HTC M8, well maybe not..

1. Battery runs out quickly on factory default, when compared to my old nexus 4... Ive heard the HTC M8 is better than this, the forums and reviews show this.

2. On lollipop 5.02 let bit of lag when using the default keyboard.

3. I contacted HTC who asked me to do a battery test, which show 20% loss within a 1hour stress test, which is normal..

Any one got any advice? I like the look and feel of the phone but the battery is fair bit less than an nexus 4, even though nexus 4 is 2100mh compared to 2840mh.

Being a week old i was hoping to changed to the M8 but i dont think vodaphone sell any more

Thanks

Tony

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Did you acquire the phone through Vodafone as you have a 14 day cooling off period to change it. If it's faulty then you have 30 days but Vodafone would send it away to clarify that it is before accepting it back. 

A new battery needs imo calibration which means charging to 100% and let drop to around 5% before recharging. 

Also take into account it'll take a few charge cycles to reach optimum output. 

Look ok at things such as changing push emails to fetch and close down any apps properly if your not using them. Many more tips on a Google search. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

thesoupdragon

There are many things that can impact battery life.

Screen brightness will be one of the biggest battery drains.

Is the brightness set to maximum?

Is Bluetooth on all the time?

Is the phone being kept awake by any app in particular?

TSD

atyno12
Thanks for the response... I think it's the phone, I just leave both screens on, bright ness low or auto, and just see it drop.
10 mins of usage - screen goes from 100 % to 92% on the nexus 98% - same content... Nothing is running in terms of apps.. I've heard the phone uses the less Power efficient slcd2 instead of slcd3 on the m8

BandOfBrothers

Personally I choose my own screen brightness and toggle off auto as this can use more juice as the phone adjusts to suit what it thinks is the best for the current lighting conditions. 

Current Phone  >

thesoupdragon
Hi Tony,

If you are not completely happy and are within the 14 day return period, I would suggest you return the phone and consider something else. 😊

Vodafone offer the Nexus 6P which might interest you?
The Sony Z5 is considered to have the best mobile Camera ever produced! That might be a selling point for you too?

TSD

thanks all,  Ive taken the tip charge 100% discharge till 95% recharge a few times...

Going forward what is the best optimum charging when down to 0% or 20-40%

I will test this over a week and see the results

BandOfBrothers

I personally do not let mine drop to below 5%

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

I try not to let the phone drop below 20%. 80% - 20% are the optimum ranges apparently.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Yes.   Don't let the battery discharge completely as this will shorten its life completely and might actually prevent it from working at all ( though I think most phones have circuitry that leaves a small amount in to prevent this).   The general advice is that it takes a few charge cycles for the phone/battery to optimise, but lithium-based ones don't need to be conditioned like nickel ones.

My experience of an M8 and an M9 is that initial drop is quite quick, but that it settles after that.   However, this may simply be startup load and the initial sync etc.   Low signal strength is one of the biggest battery sappers that I've noticed, though if you have both devices side-by-side, it ought to be the same.

It's a tricky one.   14 days isn't really long enough to test for bedding-in, so you might be better off swapping.   As well as a good camera, Sony devices have some of the best battery life around too.