Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G5 Screen Burn/Ghosting

wwhyte92
7: Helper
7: Helper

Hi community, 

I've noticed over the past week or two that after having my screen on for more than just a peak or to send a quick message, I seem to be getting a bit of screen burning or ghosting. 

It's most notable with the icons along the top of the screen (I. E. Music player icon still showing slightly after it has been closed), but other things are showing up as ghosts all over the screen if it has been on for long enough (only about 10/15 minutes though). 

The ghosting disappears after a while, but surely this shouldn't be happening with such a high quality screen. 

Has anyone else had any issues with the same handset (running Nougat) and has any ideas for fixes? I've been factory reseting a fair bit recently as I already had battery issues since the Nougat update and that hasn't solved anything. 

Thanks all! 

17 REPLIES 17

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @wwhyte92

I'm not using your model of phone but instead a Samsung s7 edge. Some have commented that the always on display on my model of phone does not move or move often enough possibly causing the same issue as you. Some say playing games etc for extended lengths of time can cause issues. 

If this was my situation I'd certainly speak with LG UK Cust Service to get some official insight on the issue. They may have some form of tips or resolution to this. 

I'm not convinced it's any particular firmware that could be the issue as the people I've seen comment have been on Marshmallow and lower. 

If a person is experiencing any lags, glitches or battery issues then if this does not self resolve after the phone has finished indexing / settling after the update then the generic advice is to perform a Back up and Factory Reset as you have been. 

Regarding Battery are you able to test another alternative official lg one in it ? Just to ensure your battery isn't failing. 

I would take a look on any available LG Specific forums to see if anyone else is experiencing similar issues to yourself. 

Are you using an unbranded LG G5 as you have the Nougat firmware or have you side loaded it to replace Vodafones official firmware ?

Has the "ghosting" definitely only started to occur after the update?

If the phone was supplied by Vodafone then you could under its 24 month manufacturer warranty ask fkr it to be sent off to their repair centre to be looked at. 

Or go straight to LG to see if they'll help you. I'd recommend this option first as they know their software and hardware better than a networks repair centre. 

If it wasn't supplied by Vodafone U.K then you'd need to either approach the seller or LG. 

Before sending off the phone take time and date stamped pictures of it to prove it's aesthetic condition etc just in case it's returned in a different condition. 

If applicable remove battery and back cover and sd card and sim card. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandOfBrothers,

Thanks for your response.

I'll get in touch with LG over the next few days and see if it is a known issue. I agree that I don't think it will be a firmware issue, it is just that I have noticed it starting after updating to Nougat.

The battery life I discussed in a previous thread (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/LG-G5-Nougat-Battery-Life/m-p/2544254#M133600) and is better than it once was but still not as good as on Marshmallow. LG did say that they are working on a patch following the 7.0 update, however when that will materialise is anyones guess.

The handset is a branded Vodafone unit and the update was provided OTA (i.e. not sideloaded), so it still has the bloatware Vodafone provide as standard (albeit disabled so as to not waste resources). If there was any ghosting before the update I never noticed it, so it has either appears since updating or has got significantly worse so it is noticeable.

Thanks for the advice regarding taking pictures of the handset before sending off for any repairs, I'll keep that in mind if it comes to sending the handset off.

BandOfBrothers

Hi..

Good to hear the network is pushing out the Nougat firmware. 

I've read conflicting posts elsewhere in connection to battery output after the update. 

Some say it's better and some day not. 

As all phones are set up differently with apps, settings different then it's ultimately down to the users individual experience. 

Current Phone  >

Nabs

@wwhyte92 I believe it's screen retention rather than screen burn so there isn't any permanent damage being done to the display. I get this on my G5, probably most noticeable when I unlock after having the phone sat on my desk for a while, the clock and any notification icons remain faintly visible on screen for a short time. It usually disappears after a couple of minutes though.

I initially had the same thoughts as you but having done some digging on other forums this appears to be normal behaviour for this type of screen so I personally don't think it's anything to worry about.

EDIT: The internet thinks the colours (or intensity of them) may have been tweaked slightly in the 7.0 update which is why the retention is more obvious now.

BandOfBrothers

That's something I've learnt new today. 

"Screen Retention."

Tbh that would annoy me if it was happening to my phone.  :Sad_face:

Current Phone  >

Nabs

@BandOfBrothers it was a little annoying! haha

You can get around it by reducing the amount of harsh white's on the screen.

I've got an app called Twilight installed which is designed to filter out the blue light on your phone. It's designed to reduce the disruption on your bodies natural rhythm, however,  a handy side effect of this is that white light appears as slightly off white, this has helped a lot in reducing the screen retention on my phone.  

BandOfBrothers

Ah yes I had something similar on the iPhone is used in regards to turning the screen a lighter shade. Nightshift. 

Apparently Nougat will introduce something similar to the s7 edge I'm using now. 

Current Phone  >

@Nabs

Thanks for shedding some light, particularly as to why the retention may have increased/become more obvious since the 7.0 update.

I still find it a strange thing to happen however and considering the handset is still under warranty I will get in contact with LG regarding it.

Nabs
It is indeed an odd one @wwhyte92 In 10 years of owning smartphones ive never seen it before!
Let us know how you get on with LG, if they offer to swap the phone out I may be tempted to contact them myself 😊