cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Location on phone showing as Phnom Penh - I am in London!

WiilK
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello

When I am connected to my Sure Signal the phone's location is showing as Phnom Penh despite being in Central London.  Whilst I dont have too much of an issue with this it does mean i think my day is over just as it begins and it shows the temperature at 32 degrees Celsius even at 8pm!

In my settings online it shows that  iam using the postcode W1S xxx so i guess it is to do wiht my IP address - i am in serviced offices so i cant do much with the connection as it is provided for me.

Any ideas? - Thank you

16 REPLIES 16

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi WiilK,

The Sure Signal only works with a UK IP address, so that's unlikely.

There are a few things that may help pin down the cause.

- Is anyone else's phone showing the same location?

- Are you connected to Wi-Fi? If so, the servers the office uses may be located there and taking priority.

- What phone are you using?

- Are your location services set to use both network and GPS data? If so, does it help if you switch to GPS only?

Dave

Thanks for your reply - please see below:

I don't have another phone to test this against

I am not connected to wi-fi

Galaxy S3

No only network - if i go to gps only it goes to the correct location.

Kind regards

Will

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Will,

The GPS shows the problem’s not with the phone as it uses satellites.  

This is a confusing one has the Sure Signal reports the location where it connects to our network.

I’d recommend using GPS only for your location services.

Thanks,

Gemma

erm - thank you for coming back to me Gemma but i am a little confused as to your response.

It would appear that as you are not aware of the issues behind this that there is nothing you can do?

I am not going to leave my GPS switched on permanantly just so it can tell me what town i am in, i am fairly geogrpahically savvy.

Is there nothing that Vodafone can do or is it just a case of "we don't know why it is happeningl, you will just have to live with it?"

Many thanks 

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

If you are away from the suresignal, does the location report correctly?

There was a problem like this before where someone was showing as being elsewhere, and it was down to an app that they had installed that was messing things up.

Do you have any apps that handle text/web/voice traffic that could also be grabbing the location request?

Although not sure who would have data centres in cambodia.

Thanks for your reply and as of yesterday i was still having the same problem just when linked through the sure signal - now the sure signal isn't working at all - just a solid red light!  I have done nothing to it and upon reset or power off it is just flashing with the two white lights and then nothing just a solid red.

I have tried all the reset stuff and everything i believe from the trouble shooting page - can anyone help??

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Wiilk,

Thanks for the update.

Can you supply the serial number please?

Thanks

Ian

Ian

Thanks for your reply - the serial number is 40120121104.

I did a full rest on Thursday and have left it ever since and nothing this morning - just the solid red light

Thanks again

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi WiiIK,

Thanks for confirming. I can see your unit contacted our servers OK last night at 11:55pm. Is everything working again now?

Cheers, Ben