Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No service

Foofie
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there I recently brought a Sony Xperia m2 from carphone warehouse to replace my old LG (slide up) phone which I had for 5 years. I am on Pay as you go and use freedom freebie. I asked if I can keep all of my contacts and such which he then told me that I can transfer all of that stuff onto a micro sim card which i had to get in the vodafone store. So i went over to vodafone and the lady kindly did that all for me, but now I'm stuck, I put the new card into my new phone but I don't have any service or anything, I tried syncing both phones via USB - PC but still nothing. I still have the service on my old phone. Any help appreciated. Here an image of both phones.

11 REPLIES 11

hrym
17: Community Champion

It should work and PAYG SIMs don't, as far as I know, need to be activated.   I think your best bet is to go back to the shop and ask them to have a look for you.

As this is an Android device, it would be a good idea to store contacts on the phone and sync them with Google.  That way they're backed up (if you keep them on a SIM there's a danger they'll be lost if it gets corrupted.  They'll also re-appear on any other Android device you connect to your account automatically.

It's weird though because they said it should just work when I put the sim in. 

gemziilou125
16: Advanced member

If you have kept the same number, and just swapped the SIM, it will need activating. Call 191 or speak to Live Chat and give them the serial number of your new SIM.

If you have found this helpful, please give Thanks :Smiling:

hrym

It's a PAYG SIM, so I'm not convinced it does - and the shop seems to have thought so, too.

gemziilou125

If you just put a SIM in a phone, how does it know that you want to keep your number?

If you buy a PAYG SIM, it does automatically activate, with a new number, but if you get a SIM from store for a SIM swap, it's blank and they have to activate it so it retains all your account information.

If you have found this helpful, please give Thanks :Smiling:

hrym

You're right.  However, I'd also expect the new SIM to work (as I understand it it's not working at all), if only with the new number.   I wonder whether there's been a setup error?

Well I asked both the workers from Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse they said it was possible, I spoke to someone on live chat yesterday he sent me a link to merge it, It said I had to wait 12 hours, It had passed 12 hours and I received a text (on my old phone) saying "we have received your request to move your number to a new SIM. Unfortunately we haven't been able to move your number at this time, as you are a PAYG customer, you will need to complete your SIM swap by visiting Vodafone or calling (such and such number) "

Which I am going to try calling if not I guess I have to waste more time going back to the store :smileyembarrassed:

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Foofie

SIM swaps can take up to 24 hours to connect to the network.

If you’re still having issues with this, you can speak to our Live help team.

Thanks,

Laura

I spoke to customer service because the lady in the store said she kept getting an error...so the customer service lady gave me a PAC number which I filled out the form, she did tell me it takes 24 hours, its gone beyond that time still nothing, I hate to admit but its starting to seriously annoy me, all I want to do is be able to use a phone. I am liturally a ping pong ball at the moment, one person is giving me one info, another is giving me something different, its like no one knows what is actually happening. I'm just better off getting a whole new number and sim card...

I appreciate all the help...