Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

One M9 runs surprisingly hot

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

I am fortunate enough to have a "preview" One M9 on loan. After a rather nervous pause for thought, I got it set up and running yesterday afternoon, and everything seemed to go smoothly enough, allowing for the fact that it's a much more powerful beast than I'm used to.

To begin with, I didn't think all that much about its temperature, as I still had it on charge while it got up to 100%, and phones do tend to get hot if used while charging. However, I continued to put it through its paces after disconnecting the charger, and it continued to run surprisingly hot.

This may be "normal" for top-end phones, of which I have little experience. However, I find it a little unsettling, if only on the basis of past experience with a laptop which tended to misbehave badly if separated from its fan-base.

Annie.

6 REPLIES 6

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

If you open the "HTC Help" app on your phone, there is a trouble shooting section there. It does mention about the phone becoming warm with continued use or during gaming etc.. It should cool rapidly once you stop using it.

If the phone is getting hot without being used, that is a different matter and probably cause for concern.

Annie_N

At the outset I felt that the phone was becoming hot in relation to the amount of work I was expecting of it. However, I haven't noticed that to anything like the same extent since - it has become warm, but only what I would feel was "reasonably" so.

So, although I thought I had done all the necessary updating while getting it set up, it may well be that it was still doing some updating in the background, and that it was actually working rather harder than I thought.

Annie.

hrym

I had mine on all weekend and used it quite a lot, including streaming BBC iPlayer radio.   I have a case on it, but never noticed any heat at all - the case isolates me a bit, but also insulates the phone, so you'd assume heat would come through to the screen.

Annie_N

The amount of heat I was getting to begin with, you'd certainly notice despite a case. Indeed, as the case would be adding to the problem by keeping the heat in, I think it would be very noticeable. So it does look as though it was an issue with some aspect of newness.

thesoupdragon
Part of the new Android 5.0.x Lollipop system, is that it uses the new ART (Android Run Time) instead of the traditional Dalvik Run Time.
In Dalvik, an app would remain compressed until it was needed to run. The app would then decompress and open in a self contained virtual platform.
In ART, the app is decompiled at point of installation, this makes apps faster to load and better multitasking properties.
This extraction is done quietly in the background to allow the user to operate their device.

Its probably this background decompiling that is using system resources and causing excessive heat when the device is first being set up? ( Lots of apps are being installed at one time.)

My phone runs very cold now except when heavy gaming or watching video for extended periods, which are processor intensive.

Annie_N

Ah, that casts a lot of light on matters! Thanks! It did seem very "busy" to begin with, much more so than another loan phone and one of my own, both of which I set up relatively recently.

A.