Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone Contract while travelling

SamAdz
1: Seeker

Hi all,

I am leaving the UK to go travelling for a year, firstly Thailand and then on to Australia to work. Unfortunately I still have a year left on my phone contract and was wondering what my best course of action would be, as obviously i want to take my phone but am at a loss as to what to do. I rang vodafone and asked about paying it off, they first quoted me £715, however they said they would half it and let me buy it out for £357, they then transferred me to make the payment and the next person i spoke to tried charging me £511! (and obviously now that i know they can do it for that price, why would any sane person pay more?) So I really dont know what to do as i want to take my phone with me. Can i still get my phone unlocked while in a contract? Can vodafone stop moving the goalposts with figures considering ive been a loyal customer for 12 years? 

Any feedback at all would be HUGELY appreciated as i cant find much online about this topic, and thankyou for taking the time to read that yawn-inducing paragraph!! 

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @SamAdz

It might be worth remembering that you did make an agreement with Vodafone for a 24 month contract and this would have included an expensive phone and Vodafone do need to recoup the cost of the equipment,  provide a service and make a profit at the end of the 24 months.  

As far as early termination charges are concerned, you will receive 2 % discount and since you won't be receiving a service, there is no VAT.  I suspect this was the quote for the £511.00.  There would also be a final bill with zero balance and it is advisable not to cancel the DD until the final payment and any further charges have been paid.  

From 11th June this year roaming charges are changing.  You will still be able to use your phone in Thailand and Australia but with a £5.00 daily charges.  Understandly, this will be expensive.

Your other option apart from early cancellation charges, will be a change of contract ownership to a trustworthy friend or relative.  This passes all responsibilty for the contract to the new owner.

To get the phone unlocked please see below.

Unlock your phone

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SamAdz

What an adventure yiu have ahead of you.   :Smiling:

Unfortunately loyalty isn't something that would typically be considered. As your locked into the contract term they'll want you to either complete the term, or pay it off to be released. 

A transfer of ownership is an option if you can find someone who can pass a Credit Check and wants to officially take on the contract.

I'm not really into advising in passing on the sim to someone in your family or circle of friends to use and they pay the bill via changing the bank details to theirs because with all good intentions things can slip and ultimately your still responsible for the bill and it's your Credit File thst could suffer. 

You could unlock the phone to increase its street value and use the accrued funds to pay off the contract. 

Then buy a phone either as new or from Highstreet shops that sell traded in phones / unwanted upgrades. Just ensure it's unlocked to all Networks and it's Bands and frequencies are ample to be used in the countries your going to. Then use a local SIM card. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

You should definitely unlock your phone so you can use sim cards from Thai and Australian networks. Best to do this sooner rather than later as others have reported issues doing this whilst overseas.

The fact you're in contract doesn't mean you can't unlock it.

As for the prices you've been quoted to end the contract, I'd raise a complaint and get them to listen to the call recordings. A complaints handler would also be able to give you a final amount that Vodafone would stick too.

Enjoy your travels.