Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Promotion gone wrong- missed the mysterious deadline

spongya
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

When I joined Vodafone I was offered a promotional gift. Which is always nice. What is not nice is how this was built up- a promotion that makes it very likely to make people miss it.

1. Nobody warned me that there was a 14 day expiry limit. True, it's in the small print. Which, as you know, nobody, not even you dear reader, or the CEO himself/herself reads, because you assume important things are communicated with you. Important things, like this, should be stressed. (If you get ANY vouchers or coupons, they state the expiry date with large letters for example.)

2. I got the email that lets me register two weeks before the time I could register, maximizing the chances of missing that particular date. Yes, I did forget to put an entry into my diary, but it's a weird promotion where you are told way in advance everything; why not the date you actually CAN do anything about it?

3. No further communication was forthcoming. A reminder would have been nice.

4. When I call to ask if there's anything to be done, obviously there's nothing.

Now, due to this issue -which is technically my fault since I should be paying attention to everything, this included, obviously- I missed the deadline.

And now Vodafone created an upset customer who feels cheated even though he would have been perfectly content had he was offered nothing in the beginning. Sure, Vodafone saved some gifts by building up the promotion like this, but they also made sure I will never, ever get a vodafone contract or recommend the service to anyone.

Weirdly enough the rules are not as strict when it comes to the service itself and the contract; I had to wait almost a week before the service was turned on after the date it was due. No apologies or contract waving in this case, of course.

It's something to keep in mind next time Vodafone designs a promotion.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I agree it's not good when we miss out on something as a sweetener to come on board @spongya

May I ask what the freebie was going to be ?

Personally I missed out on the free Samsung Vr by 1 day even I bought the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge from Samsung. 

I asked - they said No - I moved On. 

For me as I'm also a little forgetful I use a reminder app on my phone. That way I buy sugar that I need instead milk - if you get my jist !

It's not good that this has brought you to the intention that you'll move networks but ultimately that's your decision. Just ensure that any other network provides good signal and data speeds where you live, work and commute. Don't reply on Online network checkers. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

£75 gift card. (Which would have been nice to get a pair of Doc Martens boots for my wife.)

The issue, however, is not the gift card or anything; it's the sleezy way of design. It makes me feel cheated, even though objectively I lost nothing, simply because it violates the my sense of justice. As I said: if they offer nothing, I would have been fine. But they did dangle the offer in front of my nose, and then made every effort to minimize the chances of actually being able to claim said offer. And that's a big no-no. The reason why I will not  choose Vodafone is not because I'm throwing a hissy fit; I just do not like the corporate mentality that makes this sort of promotions. This indicates what you can expect from the company. 

Obviously other companies are not saints, either, but they have not shown their true colors to me -yet. (Apart from poor network coverage of a certain other company, or slow broadband.) I guess I was spoiled by the customer service in the US- even though most other things I would not wish to be brought here, that particular thing is nice.