Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Removing mobile number after split with partner

Lynneb21
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

After splitting with other half, I am trying to get his number removed from my account.   They say they need to speak to him, but when he called he failed credit check and couldn;t get an account of his own. My account was then put in to dispute. I have been told a few times now it was in process of being removed, then today Vodaphone restricted my usage.  Called them again to be told other half cancelled direct debit and his phone was not removed yet.  I am now footing the bill for his phone and mine.  It was also suggested that I barr his phone completely.  Not sure what to do next. I don't want to be landed with his bills. 

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lynneb21

The problem you are going to have here is it is your contract.  The account for both lines is in your name, that means you are responsible for both bills and repayments.

If the payments stop for your ex partners bill, the restriction includes all numbers on the account and your number will also be restricted.  The also means the arrears will reflect on your credit rating.

Although difficult for you, with the account being in your name, you are going to need to pay any arrears to bring the account up to date.  

If possible, it may be an idea to simply close your ex partners number, pay it off and get rid of it.  It will be a little cheaper for you with a 2% cancellation discount and you don't pay the VAT.

I wish you luck.

Hi Ann S

Thanks for the info, I have paid the arears today to get the account up to date, as you say I don't want my credit rating affect by him. 

When you say close his number/pay it off what do you mean?  

jeffkinn

Cancel the number and you'll have to pay an early termination fee. This is the monthly payments for the rest of the contract less the VAT and with a further 2% discount.

If there is a long time to run it can work out to be quite expensive.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

Hi @Lynneb21

Call Vodafone and ask them the cost to terminate the contract early.

The other alternative is to carry on paying the bill on a monthly basis and cancel at the end of the minimum term.

If finances permit, cancelling and paying up to end the contract early, cancels his number.