Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Repair rip-off

v8vantage
2: Seeker
I have an LG G4 which packed up whilst browsing Facebook and then developed the wildly known "bootloop" issue. So I handed it into my local Vodafone store to get it sent away for repair. When it left my hands, there were only very light screen scratches from normal use.

I have been at work and I come home to a message on my answer phone saying that I will have to pay for my phone repair because of 'physical damage' to it, unless I have insurance (which I don't have and shouldn't have to have).

I'm sorry, but there is no damage to it! I only use the proper accessories, its never been submersed in water, it has never been exposed to extreme heat or cold. I haven't treated the phone any differently to any other phone I've had and yet this is the only one I've had thats packed up.

The phones meant to have a 2yr warranty for goodness sake! I'm now looking to cancel asap and looking for a different provider that isn't going to rip me off :Sad_face:

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Did the Vodafone store employee by any chance note it's condition before sending it off.

One piece of advice I give is to take time and date stamped pictures of the phone to prove it's aesthetic condition before sending it away.  

The issue you may now have is proving its condition if none of the above were actioned. 

The two year manufacturers warranty would not cover Wear and Tear (and issues resulting from a drop or water damage. )

Msybd ask for it back to inspect it and then approach Lg uk support themselves for help on the initial problems with the phone. 

If you wish to further this with Vodafone then you could write to them and or await for a Vodafone Tech member to engage with you. 

Customer Relations Manager
Vodafone Limited
The Connection
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 2FN

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @v8vantage

Unless the store have started to repair the phone, go back to the store and get it back.

As soon as you have the phone returned contact LG support, LG will have a lot more discretion than Vodafone. With the fault well known and with LG being an efficient company, you will probable find LG will make all the arrangements for the repair, including collection and delivery.  You are going to need to be quiet about having already taken the phone into Vodafone.

Most likely, Vodafone are making more out of the slight marks on the screen than necessary.

You can find how to contact LG on the link below.

LG Support 

v8vantage
Hi thanks for the replies. Sorry I had to rant but it's becoming a fairly stressful experience. The condition is listed as "fair" with very mild scratches on the screen by the shop assistant, which is exactly how I'd describe it.

I would be intrigued to hear what this physical damage is.

The fault lies with a chip which separates from the motherboard produced by its own internal heat.

Thing is I would have sent back to LG if I had known, but I needed a temporary handset with internet access in the meantime.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @v8vantage

Yes as I mentioned it's best to get its condition noted and that Lg themselves could probably be further helpful. 

Ask for it back as they wouldn't start any work on it until authorised by you. 

I assume you are using a courtesy phone ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @v8vantage

Hopefully you will manage to get the phone back from the store and will be able to arrange a repair direct through the manufacturer.  This will also probably be a lot quicker than waiting for Vodafone to do the repair.

The loan phone will need to be returned but Vodafone have phones in store which can be purchased starting from as little as £15.00.  If you need an alternative SIM, this can be arranged in store, although it may be inconveniencing having to get the SIM changed back to a micro SIM when your G4 has been repaired.