cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S4: Faulty micro USB port?

happypeach
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I've had this phone for 6 weeks or so. At first, the charging cable fit really snugly into the micro usb port and I had no problems. However, it seems to have gotten looser and looser, starting just a couple of weeks after I got it. I didn't drop it or see anything happen, it's just gotten steadily worse. Now when I plug the phone into my computer, it constantly disconnects and reconnects if I just move the cable even slightly as it's not a snug fit anymore in the port on the phone. This causes Windows to say the device has malfunctioned and can't be recognised.

I can use someone else's charger for a different phone in a wall socket and that's more snug, but not 100%, and obviously I want to be able to plug it into my computer.

This seems to be a common fault looking around, but am I going to get billed for it if I send it back to Vodafone? I want to get it fixed before it breaks completely (as it's getting worse) but don't want to be slapped with some ridiculous fee for what seems to be an obvious manufacturing issue... or worse, to not be told how much it will cost to repair because it has to be "diagnosed" and then be told it's some crazy amount and then have to pay to have them send it back to me plus the diagnosis fee, like with my last lump of a HTC.. which had the same problem..  I bought Samsung to better my chances of it not happening again!

Please help!!  :catsad:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

Samsung will charge £40 and the labour is covered by the warrenty 

The S4 S3 and s2 did have a week USB socket 

The new s5 has the same New usb as the Note 3 

The reasoon is the week point 

My S3 uses cordless charging and i have a rubber cover in the usb socket 

My daughter has the usb charging issue and this was sent through CPW and it was covered under warrenty as they inspected the phone first 

It may be worth trying Samsung if there are no signs of damage on the outside 

If its a dry join on the board then that is a warrenty claim plus Samsung service centres will have a stock of these sockets two seven days for the repair 

View solution in original position

20 REPLIES 20

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

Hi happypeach

I don't think I'm going to have good news for you I'm afraid...?

Even if you send the Phone directly to Samsung, they will see this as User damage and you will be liable for the cost of repair.

To be honest, my approach would be to contact Samsung and explain the situation. They have been known to just repair this sort of thing without cost; But I cannot guarantee that for sure?

Vodafone use a 3rd party repair Service, as such they will not repair this under Warranty as accidental damage is not covered in the Warranty agreement.

It might pay you to invest in a Wireless charging mat, if this is an issue that is recurring for you?

hrym

Spot on there, I think, tsd.  It's the downside of the micro usb port - the plug is more robust than the socket and the whole thing does need to be handled with care!

barryl85
8: Helper
8: Helper

Have you tried a different cable?

I had this issue with my old Galaxy S3 and the cable was the issue, the little teeth on it were sunk into itself and I thought it was my phone at first too.

Northern-dj

OK don't panic to much you can now wireless charge the phone now and there are alot of companise doing this 

Now samsung can repair this as soupdragon but the charge is small my last phone was a Note and the labour was covered by the Warrenty but the Part was £25

My Phones are wirless charging i have put a cover over the USB now 

jamiejazzy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello

My S4 is also faulty. I put my sim cardin butthe phone does not reconise that the sim card is in there

Could someone help me i have onky had my s4 a couple of weeks

hrym

1.  Have your registered the SIM?

2.  Try cleaning the contacts on the SIM (just wipe them with a soft cloth).   That's what kick-started my S2.

thesoupdragon

Hi Jamie

If trying hyrm's advice doesn't work, you could pop into a Vodafone Store. They will swap the SIM (free of charge) and provision it to your account.

Wink.gif

Regarding the cable and USB, I have the exact same problem if I use a third party cable, I have no such issues if I use the original Samsung cable.

Now I want to know is how can you charge the phone over wireless, or have I read that wrong?

hrym

AFAIK, some usb cables are data only - you need data and charge, especially as the S4 has a higher standard charge current and needs to be able to switch under usb.

There are wireless charging options but these will either need a different back or a sleeve that connects to the usb port to make the charge connection.   Again, afaik.