Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge heating up and unresponsive

3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. I have had two handsets from Vodafone so far.

After two days of usage, the phone heats up and becomes unresponsive, black screen, sometimes some keys flashing up, sometimes not. Leave it for couple of hours and it comes back. Starting with battery 100% in the morning, down to 30% by 2 pm.

When I call Vodafone, they don't want to listen and offer solution, just 'we will send you a new handset' (still within first 30 days of my contract).

I want a solution. How many phones do I have to go through?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi. I tried to do the router thing, but when I thought I switched off wifi on all the devices the router light was still blinking, so unable to perform that check.

I was using mobile network all day today.

Came home, switched on wifi and switched back all the syncing. Working fine at the moment.

As the episode was happening every time I got to work, around 9/10am, I am thinking maybe some syncing is scheduled for that time. Or there is that setting 'synch every time you connect to wifi'.

I will check what's happening tomorrow (working from home) and then again on Monday in the office. I will keep you updated.

BTW what is system client?

I am using gmail only at them moment, but will need to connect other accounts (hotmail and outlook) once this problem is sorted.

View solution in original position

33 REPLIES 33

Hello @1234567890

This problem sounds very odd, especially as this is the second device with the same problem. 

It may be a long shot, but do you have a case over the device? If so, can you check the case doesn't cover any of the air vents. 

The best way forward would be to head into a Vodafone store directly and let our team take a closer look. 

Louise

hrym
17: Community Champion

A case might explain the heating issues, but not the battery drain.  The fact that there's both suggests some fairly intensive activity, which is what we need to get to the bottom of.

It would certainly be worth getting someone to have a look as these things are always easier to diagnose if you have the device in your hand.  Vodafone shops are very good as long as you get someone who's technically savvy and that depends on who's in on any particular day.  I've also heard good reports of Carphone Warehouse's Geek Squad.

The thing is, I don't think the phone need to go off for repair, so try to avoid that happening.   It just needs someone to delve into a few settings and see if they can spot what's going on.

Or maybe my previous suggestion will nail it?

Thanks Louise.

This is actually the third device. Yest I have got a case, but it is original Smasung LED, I paid throught the roof for that, but out of curiosity, if the problem persist, I will obviously check it without the case.

I was even thinking the LED thing is doing something to it. Then I was thinking the wireless charger is at fault. It could be anything. The problem with going to the shop is: what if the 'unresponsiveness' doesn't happen when I am there? SInce I switched off syncing it's been alright, I will run it like this for couple of days and see.

I am truly disappointed with Vodafone, when I called with the issue they did not even want to listen to what was wrong with the phone, they just are very fast to send me a replacement. How cost effective is this?

Hello @1234567890

I see, thank you for clarifying.

Please let me know how you get on over the next few days and if you see any improvement. 

Louise

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

I had a look at my battery usage and the Android system only takes a few percent of the battery (about an hour a day).  On your screen shot the figure is over 50% or about 7 hours in half a day.  That looks a lot.

What figures have other people got? 

hrym

I still think something is syncing and that letting it run with the phone on charge and connected to wifi might flush it out.  Could you give that a try?

If it was the case (which I don't think it is), it would surely happen all the time, not just on wifi?   To check, though, you could try taking it out fo the case when you're in the office.   You could also try this at home:   Turn off wifi on the phone, then make sure there's nothing else accessing the internet (activity light on your router is steady).   Now turn wifi on on the phone.   If the router activity light starts flashing, it must be the phone that's doing it and my theory is likely to be correct.

Edited to add: I've been trying to think what might be syncing at such length and it finally occurs to me that it could be email.   If you're using the system client rather than the Gmail (or other service) app, it could be downloading your entire history.   This would be a one-off action on a new device.   You don't want to have sync permanently off as it means that a load of stuff such as contacts won't be kept up to date and backed up.

Hi. I tried to do the router thing, but when I thought I switched off wifi on all the devices the router light was still blinking, so unable to perform that check.

I was using mobile network all day today.

Came home, switched on wifi and switched back all the syncing. Working fine at the moment.

As the episode was happening every time I got to work, around 9/10am, I am thinking maybe some syncing is scheduled for that time. Or there is that setting 'synch every time you connect to wifi'.

I will check what's happening tomorrow (working from home) and then again on Monday in the office. I will keep you updated.

BTW what is system client?

I am using gmail only at them moment, but will need to connect other accounts (hotmail and outlook) once this problem is sorted.

hrym

There isn't a specific, global, setting for "sync when connected to wifi", but individual apps normally have settings that allow you to restrict their activity over a mobile network - news apps can be told not to pre-load articles, photo backup can be restricted, etc.   The main exception is Google Play.   That doesn't have a setting for "auto update apps over wifi only", it's either on or off.

It sounds as though whatever was the cause has now done its initial sync and won't need to do that much again.   My money's still on email.

Fingers crossed for you!

Edited to add: I've marked this as solved, but that doesn't mean you can't come back if you have further problems.

Well you won't believe it.

Used the phone up to now (4 days) with no problem. Mobile network when I am out, WiFi when I am at home.

Up until now I have been using mobile network when at work in the office as well. Today I decided to try what will happen if I connect it to WiFi, and there you have it! Same problems - overheating, unresponsive. Battery from 80 to 50% withing 1,5 hours. The moment I put it back on mobile network it cools down. Slower responses, but I think it will get back to normal after it cools down completely.

Battery usage before the episode - 16% android system, after the episode 30% android system (not sure if it means anything).

So now I don't understand. It's definitely when I connect to WiFi at work, as at home there is no problem. But why? And now I am curious whether it happens in other WiFi networks.

I can't believe it's only me having these problems.

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

If it doesn't happen on wifi at home, it sounds like it is something to do with the work wifi.  Have you asked the person at work who runs the wifi for help?  Does anyone else at work notice a similar problem?