Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal encryption and PCIDSS

crabduck
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hoping someone can provide an answer, I appreciate that it is a fairly niche query - I'm looking at PCIDSS compliance for our company and one thing we're considering to reduce our risk is moving all our PDQs off our network and onto GPRS.

One problem we have is that some areas of our estate have really poor reception, we would normally boost this using a sure signal device - but these devices connect to Vodafone through our network infrastructure which we're trying to avoid using.

I know that Sure Signal encrypts the data traffic via IPsec, my question is does this make the device acceptable for the PCIDSS security standard? If anyone has any information or a lead I would be hugely grateful!

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Beau
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@crabduck

This isn't something that we have information on.

You'll need to contact the relevant organisation regarding the security questions you have

Thanks for the answer - to pursue something further I need to know more details about the encryption and how the network traffic is handled (as the security of the signal is of primary significance to the standard). Is this information that is available or should I contact someone else within Vodafone?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@crabduck – The Sure Signal’s there to provide a mobile signal in the same way as the mobile network – there’s no additional encryption settings.

You’d need to look into your router and broadband settings and possibly additional software, for varying levels of encryption.

Hi Jenny, I know there's no additional encryption settings - my query is about the natuire of the encryption as the signal is passed from the station to the Vodafone network via the physical (broadband or alternative) network. According to documentation the Sure Signal device and the Vodafone network handle this via IPSec. I am aware that the signal from the 3G device and the base station is not encrypted - this is not what I was asking.