Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trying to identify Dealer code from Vodaphone to prove proof of purchase

ianw500
1: Seeker

Hi - I am trying to unlock my old iPhone 5 to give it to my son to use. I started a contract with Vodaphone  November 2010 with an iPhone 4.

Renewed the contract in 2012 to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and  left Vodaphone in December 2014 to get an iPhone 6. 

I've just spoke to Vodaphone and they say that the IMEI number associated with that  account during that 2012-2014 doesn't match the iPhone 5 I have now. 

I don't recal replacing the handset -  I might have done - lost or damaged maybe -  it was potentially 3-5 years ago that I had the phone, but I'm confident from my purchasing habits, that it's unlikely I would have done anything 'dodgy'. It would have been replaced via Vodaphone. 

I have checked my bank records - no purchases for £ 500-600 handsets during that time- just a constant direct debit for £50- 70 per month to Vodaphone. Conversations with Vodaphone agents, inform me that according to their records I got the phone : 'Quick Stop - Vodaphone Smart Phone - Dealer code 40002239'

They have no other information, just that it was purchased outside of Vodaphone channels. 

They also say that they have no idea how long the  original IMEI number was used for, or when the new IMEI number  started to be used on the network - so I can't work out when I might have changed the phone. 

They are not saying that I have a stolen handset - just that I can't use this 'un-identified ' handset on any other network. Their solution being that my son ports his current number to Vodaphone in order to use the handset - which I am less inclined to do every extra hour I spend talking to their agents. 

Is there a way to locate the origin of 'Quick Stop - Vodaphone Smart Phone - Dealer code 40002239' or some way of Vodaphone finding out when a phone ( and it's IMEI) were used on their network ? I can't imagine in the current security climate thast they just ditch that kind of sensitive information about their customers. 

Any thoughts appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @ianw500 another way is to get a Vodafone Payg SIM, top up with a small amount, use it on the Vodafone network for 30 days, making the odd call, sending a few texts, this then registers the imei number on the system and after 30 days the unlock form can be submitted and the phone will then be unlocked.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @ianw500

My suggestion is to use a Vodafone U.K. Payg SIM card in the iPhone for 30 days making calls etc and then request the unlock using the new Payg information. 

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Network-unlock-codes/81196967/How-do-I-unlock-my-Vo...

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request. 
 Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
 Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
 From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks  - That sounds a potential route - but doesn't guarantee that the won't just ask for the proof of purchase info again after 30 days of using a PAYG SIM. My point is - I might have forgotten whether I had the phone replaced during the 2 year contract but they should have some record of when a particular phone is being used on their network. And if not - why do they care which handsets are being used on the network, as they are obviously not monitoring it. 

Surely someone - Apple or the networks have a record of all these IMEI numbers. 

I am pursuing more infomation from Vodaphone..

63johnw

They don't ask for proof of purchase of you go down the 30 day Payg route.

Thanks - I may have to do that. 

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Yes, using the phone for 30 days with a PAYG SIM is deemed to be reasonable proof that you are the current owner, so that should be the end of the story - much simpler than messing around trying to make sense of ancient history. I would suggest using the phone a reasonable amount during the 30 days. If you buy a £10 Big Value Bundle, you will get a good allowance of minutes, texts and data.