cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade from KK to LP, now every boot i get .........

Thesicknote
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

LG G3 (D855 i think) I upgraded from KK to LP about 2 weeks ago and all is well except when ever i boot i get the following message "android is upgrading starting apps" it only last for about 10 seconds and does not cause an issue with the phone but clearly something did not go right in the upgrade process, I have looked at youtube but nothing goes that relates to me, i have heard of clearing the partition cache on a Moto G 3rd Gen this info is for the Moto G 3rd Gen

The recommendation is to do the cache wipe eachtime an update hits.

http://allaboutmotog.com/how-to-clear-cache-partition-on-moto-g-and-moto-x-after-android-lollipop-update/

To summarise:
Boot off phone
Hold down volume down and press power button
Menu comes up in black and white after around 4-5seconds
press up/down key until RECORVERY is selected and press power button.
phone reboots again with a green android with red triangle out of his/her tummy
Hold down power button and tap volume up button
Goto "wipe cache partition"
press power button to select it
confirm "YES" with vol up/down followed by the power button
Go and have a glass of water (much better for you than a cuppa coffee)
around 3-5mins later. (be patient, it can take longer)
Select "Reboot system now" with power button.

Does anyone know if this kind of thing works on the LG G3, or anyone else had any experience of something like this

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

The general advice when a person has updated firmware and glitches occur are to create a back up of the information in the phones storage memory to preserve it , remove any SD Card if applicable and then perform a Factory Reset to help remove any left over and redundant files. 

If that process does not help resolve then my next course of action would be to approach the Manufacturer on their Uk Support site. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

If the phone is working OK, you don't have anything to worry about.   It's an odd message, but it appears fairly routinely on Lollipop.  It's when it lasts a lot longer than 10 seconds you need to worry :smileywink:

Nabs

Hi @Thesicknote

My HTC does this as well, I suspect something has changed in the OS boot process, most likely something to do with the change from Dalvik to ART which fundamentally changed the way the system works. With Dalvik apps were compirled and executed when you run them. With ART they are compiled at install time. I guess for apps that run on startup there must be some boot time compilation process that happens which the user see's as this message.

These are only guesses though and may be totally wrong! haha

In the early days fo Android clearing the cache made a massive difference to the performance of a device though it would never change the functionality. In more recent versions it's not something that's really needed, though i'm not sure if that's because phones are more powerful not or because the OS is much better optimised to handle it. It shouldn't cause any issues if you did wnat to try it though as always, make sure you have important data backed up before doing anything you're unsure of.

hrym

If it's not broke, I wouldn't fix it :smileywink:.   I periodically clear app caches by going into Settings|Storage and tapping the option there, but I wouldn't do more than that.

Sometimes you get an "optimising app x of y" message and sometimes it's "starting apps".   Good point, @Nabs it probably is something to do with ART.   It happens on Marshmallow as well as Lollipop.

Hmm unsure what to do, i think i'll leave it be for now, but will do a factory reset maybe in a months time after i have backed up everything, and if that fails and i still have "issues" i'll go for a MM rom update, fed up waiting for VF to even give us a date when we can expect MM.

Thanks for the replies guys

hrym

Honestly, leave it alone unless you need a reset for any other reason.   It's part of the way the system works now.  I agree it's odd and I suspect it may have something to do with backwards compatibility for older apps.   You'll probably find that it varies over time.   As long as the phone is working and there are no other issues, you don't need to worry.   In all probability, it'll still be doing it after a reset.