Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using 2 suresignals

Kelcat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

I live in a very rural area & have had a suresignal for a couple of years now. I also have an office at the bottom of the garden that has broadband via a cable that I've run from the house. I have no mobile signal in the office which is v annoying. Could I:

run the cable to a LAN switch, then plug my pc & a second sure signal into that, thus getting a mobile signal in the office too?

Any other suggestions also welcome.

7 REPLIES 7

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi Kelcat,

I don't believe there are any issues running 2 SureSignals on the same connection, just as long as you're connection itself has sufficient bandwidth you should be fine. 

It is worth noting that they won't hand calls between eachother so if you move out of range of one the call will drop back to the normal Vodafone network

Nabs

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Kelcat

In theory a sufficient switch system would work on your router, however, from past experience I would recommend using a seperate router for each Sure Signal.

DaveCD

Hi Dave

So - being a total technical dunce, could I - use the scenario I outlined above but simply swap the LAN switch for a router? Would this also (potentially) give me wifi at the shed/office?

Thanks

Kelcat

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Afraid not, the way I read that is a second router would mean a second internet connection.

It all depends on the router that you have in place currently.

On some the setup will work fine, and multiple secured VPN connections will pass through without a worry, and the limiting factor will be the bandwidth available.

Others may struggle to let two connections through, as there is only the inner workings to let one vpn pipe pass through... (some even struggle with a single one)

Did you have many/any hassles setting up the 1st sure signal?

If none, that is a good start, and it would be worth trying a 2nd unit.

If you had to fill in all of the port forwarding details, then I wouldn't attempt a second, as you can't forward the same ports to two different devices.

Erm - thanks for the reply, but, tbh, most of that went straight over my head!

In the house I just have the BT router that they send out (curved black thing) - the house suresignal was pretty much plug & play as far as I recall (once it was registered).

grolschuk

:Smiling: No worries

In short, the suresignal creates a secure private tunnel back to vodafone to send the calls down.

Some routers only allow one tunnel to be created at a time, while others are good enough to allow multiple.

And quite often the only way to tell would be to try it.

Ah - the wonderful world of technology strikes again.

The kind folk at Vodafone have done me such a good deal on a second suresignal that tbh I can pretty much trial & error it. Worst case ebay wins!