Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS not working anymore

Any1else
4: Newbie

We have a Version 2 Sure Signal and it has been set up and working for about a year. Over the past week or so the phone cant get a signal. I checked the VSS last night and the status light (the white one next to the red power light) was flashing. I rebooted everything (modem, router and VSS) and after about 45 minutes the phone was getting 3 bars. It lost the signal over the course of today (and it runs the battery out searching!!) and when I checked the VSS just now the status light was solid. Then without any input from me it went out, then it and the phone light started flashing for about 30s, then only the status light flashed for about 30 secs and then it went solid. It is just cycling through this process.

I havent posted any info up because, as I said, its been working ok for a year and we have changed nothing. Same modem, same router, same ports open, same ISP, same phone, same number etc etc. Anyone know why this has happened and how to fix it?

If you need any info, I will be happy to post it up but given it was working two weeks ago a lot of the requested info wont be reqd. Quite happy to post up anything that will help.

17 REPLIES 17

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:
Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

LeeH thanks for the quick reply.

Speed test - 20.30meg up/1.17 meg down

Ping test - Ping 24ms/Jitter 6ms

Ext IP - 82.18.24.119

Serial No - 40114611052

Traceroute -

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  cpc11-cani3-2-0-gw.14-2.cable.virginmedia.com [82.18.24.1]
  3    10 ms     8 ms    11 ms  renf-core-2b-ae4-2476.network.virginmedia.net [82.23.161.101]
  4    23 ms    16 ms    14 ms  leed-bb-1c-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.41]
  5    19 ms    20 ms    19 ms  nrth-bb-1c-ae9-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.122]
  6    18 ms    19 ms    20 ms  nrth-tmr-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.30]
  7    35 ms    33 ms    36 ms  fran-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.185.81]
  8    41 ms    39 ms    39 ms  FFMGW3.arcor-ip.net [80.81.192.117]
  9    37 ms    35 ms    35 ms  92.79.213.129
 10    39 ms    38 ms    39 ms  92.79.213.154
 11    37 ms    33 ms    36 ms  85.205.116.6
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Was hoping your second reply would be as rapid as your first. :Smiley_with_tongue_out:

Any update?

Hi Any1else,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Everything looks fine with the details that you’ve provided and I can see the Sure Signal connected again last night.

The first thing to look at is the firewall on your router, can you try to lower this and reset the Sure Signal to see if it then connects?

When you say that you’ve rebooted everything can you confirm that you’ve done a full reset of the Sure Signal?

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

-Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid

-Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in

-Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead

-Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

James

James,

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason around 10pm last night the box came back up on its own and the phone is getting a signal. I assumed that one of you guys had reset something.

As for the Firewall thing - like I said in the original post everything was working fine and nothing has changed. The necessary ports are open - cant see it being that.

When I say I rebooted - I mean that I cut the power and reconnected it. I tried to perform the reset as per your instructions but holding the reset button for over a minute didnt give me solid lights. They are out then suddenly they all flash once (every 30 secs) and go out again. Is there another way of resetting it? I would also point out that the box is really hot - as if it has been sitting in the bright sun all day (it hasnt). Should it be this hot?

Hi Any1else,

Thanks for getting back to us; it’s great to see your Sure Signal is now working again.

The reset procedure that James gave is the only one and we’ve seen that it does work for other customers.

If it’s needed again, I’d suggest holding the reset button in til the lights flash and then follow the reset procedure.

The Sure Signal may be getting hot due to a lack of airflow around it. Try moving it to a more well ventilated spot and see how if it stays cool.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew it went down again last night and phone ran out of charge searching for a signal.

Have just followed your rest instructions (power cycling after the lights flash) and will see what that does. Unit is still warm despite sitting in the middle of the table. It is warmer that I think it should be.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there Any1else,

Thanks for the update.

If it stays warm/hot to the touch, click here and you can get it send away for repair if t's still in warranty.

Cheers,

LeeH

Any1else
4: Newbie
Will do Lee.

Box is not in warranty. Vodafone provided it FoC because we had zero signal at home and were going to switch to Orange. If this box is on the way out we will need to see about getting another.