cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

Glen - That's great news! The firmware has updated so I'm glad to see you're back up and running.

@LauraMulcock - Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

Your upload speeds are bordering on the minimum, so you may get a disrupted service. Your ISP can discuss speed options with you. 

Looking at 40134917901, this unit has been de-registered. You'd need to register it for us to see how it's performing.

I've sent a resync request down for 40111021503 though. For it to complete, please reset your Sure Signal. It should take no longer than an hour to come back online.

Cheers,

Ben

TimDavies
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi trying to sort my father in laws SS as it's not working at his (due to a new BT router I suspect) I have brought it home to see if it works correctly at my house. (Disconnected my Functioning SS and plugged his in)

Unfortunately it doesn't connect, I suspect it's been de registered as not been able to connect in a while. Are you able to see anything at your end and please can 40131563302 be reregistered.
Thanks

Never been able to get this working for me. 

Power Flash, Internet off, In service orange, in use orange.

Serial num 40134657234

Speed - 93mbps down, 90mbps up

Ping 35ms Jitter 8ms Packet Loss 0%

Trace:

Internal

My ISP 1

My ISP 2

4 ge-7-8.car1.london1.level3.net (212.113.8.233) 12.302 ms 85.498 ms 48.840 ms
5 * * *
6 ae-226-3602.edge3.london1.level3.net (4.69.166.150) 2.311 ms 2.398 ms 2.185 ms
7 195.50.118.230 (195.50.118.230) 2.420 ms 2.199 ms
cable-wirel.edge3.london1.level3.net (195.50.124.26) 2.706 ms
8 ae22-xcr1.lns.cw.net (195.2.30.61) 2.504 ms 2.638 ms 2.175 ms
9 * * *

Have complete outbound access for the suresignal. I see dns requests and then isakmp: parent_sa ikev2_init being send to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk but don't see any responses.

any ideas? 

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

@TimDavies - The Sure Signal serial you've provided hasn't been suspended. Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, and then post back your results if you’re not directed to another thread.

@adrianadrian - This Sure Signal has never been registered. What happens when you try to subscribe via My Vodafone

Cheers, Ben

Hi,

Been upgraded to Fibre broadband and now get the above light sequence on the Sure Signal box (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange). Router has changed. I have opened ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723, 4500.

• Your speed test results: 59.58
  • Your ping test results: 48ms, Jitter 5ms
  • Your external IP address: 146.200.135.155
  • Your Sure Signal serial number: 40134657093
  • The results of a traceroute:

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms lo0.10.central10.ptn-bng01.plus.net [195.166.128.228]
3 13 ms 12 ms 14 ms irb.10.ptw-cr02.plus.net [84.93.249.2]
4 13 ms 12 ms 14 ms ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.4]
5 54 ms 14 ms 14 ms ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
6 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 85.205.0.86
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Thanks,

Grant

http://myip.ms/view/ip_addresses/2462615296/146.200.135.0_146.200.135.255

Your IP is showing up as in the USA, as well as in the UK.   (More hits show your "over there" then "over here", and not always the same area of the USA.)

Time to talk to your ISP, and get them to assign you an address known to be in the UK, else Vodafone will just ignore the VSS's attempts at connection, whatever you do.

Have Fun.

Dave Baxter.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

What router did they give you with the new connection?

The Technicolor tends to work pretty well out of the box with no need for the port forwarding to be turned on.

The Netgear has problems...

You can also take a look at your online plusnet customer portal (not the router), and check that their firewall is set to off, as that can get in the way, and not a lot of people know it is hidden in there :Smiling:

Thanks for the quick replies. The router is a Technicolor TG582n and the portal firewall is off. The IP address is registered to the Infonet.com domain which is part of BT (as is plusnet ISP), despite it registering as a US location address.

grolschuk

It may require the vodafone chaps to take a look at your suresignal behind the scenes, to check it's still not tied to your old line and IP range, etc.

They try to get to new questions within 24-48 hours, so should be back with you tomorrow... having provided the serial number and troubleshooting, at least that will speed things up.

Have you done a reset on the suresignal since the new hardware went in? If not try one (with the port forwarding turned off)

I don't think that router as any VPN Passthrough options on it, but if you spot any, enable it for IPSec.

Hi.

I have a VSSv3 running just fine behind a fully NAT's Netgear DGN1000.

I'm in the process of writing up what I did in odd moments, but it is taking way more time to do that, than doing what I did in the first place!

However.  Other than disabling a set of rules for a PPtP VPN endpoint of my own, I did nothing in truth, it "just worked", but it did take a few hours to sort itself out.

Now, with all the forwarding rules, and the Firewall configured to block all other unsolicited incoming traffic, while allowing all outgoing.   The VSS will recover from a power outage after 5 to 15 minutes.

Mind you, it still works fine without ANY special rules in place!   I suspect, it's got more to do with restrictions on OUTGOING traffic, than incoming, and much of that may be not under the users control.

It is not recomended to "turn off" your router's firewall.   You might as well run your PC in the DMZ in that case, as well as all the other devices you may have connected.

As to the IP address thing.   I suspect there has been a some of IP address space trading going on.  BT have a business presence in the US, so it's not suprising to my mind if they tunnel some customers here to appear on the net over there, to spread the load as it were!   Your VSS may not work, but you might be able to stream US TV shows!  :Smiling:

The fact that the same IP address shows as being in any of (three at the last count) physical locations, to me indicates that a lot of the IP to geo-location databases are very out of date.

Cheers All.

Dave Baxter.