Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 6S Upgrade Deals

Colin_London
4: Newbie

OK I'll go first!

When will Vodafone unveil their upgrade deals for existing customers to the iPhone 6S?

Also, will phones be available for store collection in addition to home deliveries?

Have to say that, based on iPhone 6 deals for new customers I have worked out that over 24 months Vodafone contract deals for *new* customers are the most expensive option, with it being £250 cheaper to buy a phone from Apple direct and downgrade to a SIM-only 12 month Red Value contract. So hope the upgrade deals offer quite a discount.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

It's a selling point for Vodafone that they don't offer better prices to new customers than existing customers and vice versa.

That isn't going to change for this iphone launch.

My opinion - if you can afford the £600+ for the phone outright that's the way to go.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers

@jeffkinn wrote:

I'll be pre-ordering my new 6S Plus on the Apple website tomorrow morning.

Possibly the cleanest way to get one. 

The Networks will be falling over themselves as per during launch trying to satisfy the orders they take. 

I'm not convinced yet to invest in an iPhone 6s Plus. Ok it has the 3D touch which I can replicate ,and the faster chip ,but it'd be nice to see what Ram they put into the new model(s) too. 

As per I'll be keeping an eye on blogs and un boxings and user reviews on YouTube. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

both of the new models (6s and 6s plus) come with 2gb RAM, so that should satisfy some people.

i am going to pre-order one tomorrow at 8am through Apple (6s plus 128gb), and try and get one through Vodafone upgrade as well - is the upgrade one works out studily more expensive then i will just cancel it and stick with the Apple one and stick a sim in.

If contract is within £100 of buying outright first then i will stick with contract.

jeffkinn

It looks like the 2GB of ram is right although that still isn't official I dont think.

I've never noticed any lag or latency with the 6+ and gien a faster chip and more efficient iOS9 I don't think the ram number is that important. We just like bigger numbers like camera megapixels.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@tailwhip2000 wrote:

both of the new models (6s and 6s plus) come with 2gb RAM, so that should satisfy some people.

i am going to pre-order one tomorrow at 8am through Apple (6s plus 128gb), and try and get one through Vodafone upgrade as well - is the upgrade one works out studily more expensive then i will just cancel it and stick with the Apple one and stick a sim in.

If contract is within £100 of buying outright first then i will stick with contract.

Hi

Can I ask where you've seen official confirmation from  about the level of Ram in the new iPhones. Please link in. 

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

That doesn't exist but there are multiple reports in the tech press about it.

gsmarena for instance.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

There was I thinking I'd missed something from . 

When it's launched a well known blog who dismantle these iPhones will advise what's under the hood and I'm sure we'll see Geek Bench Test Results being shared. 

I see the reports on a smaller battery which I'm sure  will say is ok due to the new  a9 chip. 

I mo agree with you I've not seen any lag or other user on my iPhone 6 Plus with one Gb of Ram. 

Current Phone  >

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
As a general rule, it's always cheaper in the long run to buy the handset outright and go SIM only. But it also always comes down to if you have a few hundred quid spare floating around, which a lot of people don't, hence why handset contracts are so much more common (and why all networks can charge a premium for them).

john32
13: Advanced Member

It looks like apple are going to try and cater the 12 month users with their 'iPhone upgrade Program'

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

I wonder when it will arrive in the UK?

Johm

Good luck

John

how is that going to work - the apple 12 month upgrade plan?

do you pay a fixed fee to Apple (say £30 a month - depending on which model phone you get) and then you are responsible for putting in your own sim (vodafone sim only 12 month contract etc).

At the end of the 12 months when you swap your phone, i take it you just give it back and get a new one? So you have no moneytary value in the phone?

If i take out a 12 month contract for the phone now then in 12 months time i can sell the phone for £4-500 and then get a new one etc.

Not sure how much value for money there will be.  essentially it is a bit like leasing a car. you will never own it.

jeffkinn

It will be exactly like leasing a car and if you look at the US Apple website that promotes it you'll see the company that's providing the finance.

In the US a 64GB 6S costs $749. The leasing cost is $37.45 a month for 24 months giving a total cost of $898.80 - a finance cost of a whopping $149.80 or 20% over the two years.

But you get the option to upgrade after 12 months by giving the phone back and getting a new one. No doubt there will be penalties if they consider the phone not to be up to par and in line with normal wear and tear. And no guarantee that the second year's costs will be the same as the first year.

No very attractive in my opinion.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png