cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is my 4g Unlimited Max connection being throttled?

cpat
3: Seeker

Some months ago I was receiving 40-50Mbps regularly. More recently I consistently get only 10-14Mbps download, while upload speeds are generally significantly faster.

Post Title: 'First half of post code - SY10

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? Happens all the time at home

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here. SY10 0BG

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? Have moved the sim card between 4g routers (TP-Link, Teltonika) and same issue

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? No specific error messages.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? The connection is 4g

6) When did you first notice this issue? Around March/April of this year. Typical connections speeds before were 40 - 50 Mbps, now average around 14mbps

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Permanent.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jason

Hi @cpat. Thank you for completing our network template. It's disappointing to hear that you've recently been experiencing an issue with your 4G connection, we completely understand the importance of keeping connected online. I've firstly checked your postcode of concern using our Network Status Checker tool online and I can confirm that there are no reported issues or maintenance that would be affecting your services. Whilst we're on the subject of our NSC, it's important to note that although your predicted 4G coverage is 'Good indoors & outdoors', if you zoom out you'll be able to see that the coverage is quite patchy in the surrounding area, which can be a key cause for any intermittent speed or connection issues. 

I've also checked the mast site (5970) that your postcode area connects to past Efail-Rhyd and I can confirm that all 4G cells have been reporting back fully operational, with no downtime. Also, no incidents have been recorded by our network engineers within the last 90 days. 

Although I fully take on board that your 4G speeds have dropped to around 14Mbps, opposed to the usual 40-50Mbps, your current speeds are still within the expected speed range for your postcode area. Speeds may vary depending on the device used, local terrain (trees, coast, hills and buildings), weather and the number of users accessing the mast. 

Taking all of the above into account, I would put this down to general network coverage and/or mast congestion. 

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Jason

Hi @cpat. Thank you for completing our network template. It's disappointing to hear that you've recently been experiencing an issue with your 4G connection, we completely understand the importance of keeping connected online. I've firstly checked your postcode of concern using our Network Status Checker tool online and I can confirm that there are no reported issues or maintenance that would be affecting your services. Whilst we're on the subject of our NSC, it's important to note that although your predicted 4G coverage is 'Good indoors & outdoors', if you zoom out you'll be able to see that the coverage is quite patchy in the surrounding area, which can be a key cause for any intermittent speed or connection issues. 

I've also checked the mast site (5970) that your postcode area connects to past Efail-Rhyd and I can confirm that all 4G cells have been reporting back fully operational, with no downtime. Also, no incidents have been recorded by our network engineers within the last 90 days. 

Although I fully take on board that your 4G speeds have dropped to around 14Mbps, opposed to the usual 40-50Mbps, your current speeds are still within the expected speed range for your postcode area. Speeds may vary depending on the device used, local terrain (trees, coast, hills and buildings), weather and the number of users accessing the mast. 

Taking all of the above into account, I would put this down to general network coverage and/or mast congestion. 

cpat

OK, thanks for doing the work. In that case I conclude that at these new speeds my Unlimited MAX subscription is not providing value for money and I'll seek to cancel the contract with no penalty.

You're welcome. Your uncapped Unlimited Max plan speed will be the fastest possible in your area. If you've actioned a speed test and your speed test result is 14Mbps, this will be the fastest possible speed at that time. 

We're sorry to hear that you're looking to cancel your plan because of this. As touched on above, although your speed has noticeably decreased these past six months, it's still within the expected speed range for your postcode area. If you want to cancel your plan before the end of your contract, you’ll need to pay a fee to leave early.

Yes, no kidding. I've been sucked in good and proper!

cpat

I have checked, by the way, and can confirm no new hills have occured in the last 6 months...