Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Snow Leopard Fix For K3760 Usb Pro

JamesAsser
Not applicable
Ok so like many of you I have the K3760 so called Vodafone Usb PRO which used to cause Kernel panics when running Snow Leopard on my 2009 MacBook Pro.

I could not wait any longer for the VF fix and so searched the net with this topic providing the answers and yes it works 100% and I am using the Usb Pro to type this.

The vodafone k3760 stick is actually an Icon 411 made by Option (it just has a vodafone sticker on it) see their site here

http://www.option.com/en/products/products...modems/icon411/

visit the site below and load the driver for the SL Mac.

http://www.option.com/en/support/software-...modems/icon431/

Yes, thats right, Option have already updated their drivers for snow leopard. Just download and install this and your stick will work perfectly.

If it isn't set up already, you will need to configure the G141x Modem device that comes up in the Network preferences panel.

So i found my G141x in the network settings and simply typed in *99# in the telephone number field.

its stable with no errors I have completed a speed test and get as of this morning 2mbs down and .5 up so not too bad for where i live.

I understand that this is not a VF fix however it works and is a solution in the short term.

James
13 REPLIES 13

JamesAsser
Not applicable
Ok so like many of you I have the K3760 so called Vodafone Usb PRO which used to cause Kernel panics when running Snow Leopard on my 2009 MacBook Pro.

I could not wait any longer for the VF fix and so searched the net with this topic providing the answers and yes it works 100% and I am using the Usb Pro to type this.

The vodafone k3760 stick is actually an Icon 411 made by Option (it just has a vodafone sticker on it) see their site here

http://www.option.com/en/products/products...modems/icon411/

visit the site below and load the driver for the SL Mac.

http://www.option.com/en/support/software-...modems/icon431/

Yes, thats right, Option have already updated their drivers for snow leopard. Just download and install this and your stick will work perfectly.

If it isn't set up already, you will need to configure the G141x Modem device that comes up in the Network preferences panel.

So i found my G141x in the network settings and simply typed in *99# in the telephone number field then APPLY and your set. There is a long list of G141x in the network window select G141x Modem only.

so to use the Usb Pro you simply select the network connection from the top right hand of the menu bar (top right of your screen) and select connect G141x (or rename it of course) and your on line to end simply disconnect G141x. There is no real IT knowledge needed here as the steps are above so good luck and questions I will answer as other members have for me.

its stable with no errors I have completed a speed test and get as of this morning 2mbs down and .5 up so not too bad for where i live.

I understand that this is not a VF fix however it works and is a solution in the short term.

James

JamesAsser
Not applicable
I forgot to add thr most important section this will NOT work unless you UNINSTALL the Vodafone VMC. This is not the same as delete or placing VMC in the waste basket you must uninstall otherwise you will simply get the kernel panics.

JamesAsser
Not applicable
ok so tested my internet connection again this morning using the Snow Leopard fix for the K3760 and am getting 1.6 mb down and 0.8 up which again is not so bad.

I have had no problems with the fix works out of the box as it were. The device has not generated any errors and access is NOT via the VMC (VF software which I have uninstalled) but by the network preferences on the top bar using connect and disconnect.

the trick is to UNINSTALL the VF VMC completely and then add the drivers which works 100% and again using SL with K3760 to type this from my office.

James

JamesAsser
Not applicable
if you have any problems installing this then let me know here as it will generate an email and I will reply. I have found others on the site very helpful and so will try my best. It took 2.5 minutes to make the K3760 work. :rolleyes:

groobs
Not applicable
Many thanks James36 - the above works very well for me and my K3760 on my MacBook Pro :D

I've even managed to get a 'Content Control - Restricted Access' message - which certainly proves it is working!

JamesAsser
Not applicable
Many thanks James36 - the above works very well for me and my K3760 on my MacBook Pro :D

I've even managed to get a 'Content Control - Restricted Access' message - which certainly proves it is working!

I am glad it worked and it should work for all macBook Pro running SL as this K3760 is simply a modem with the developers (Option not VF) having written the device drivers. You simply will not have the VF VMC software which in no ways effects your connection to the internet.

James

rob.pitt
Not applicable
if you have any problems installing this then let me know here as it will generate an email and I will reply. I have found others on the site very helpful and so will try my best. It took 2.5 minutes to make the K3760 work. :rolleyes:

Hi James

Thanks for this. I downloaded the Option driver onto my Macbook as you advised and was really chuffed when I connected the USB modem and it no longer crashed (great). I couldn't connect though and kept getting a modem error message. To solve this i downloaded Launch2net for 10.6 http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/15570/launch2net.dmg . Once this was installed I just selected "standard" from the list of Vodafone services at set up and everything else was done automatically. It now works fine.

Cheers.

Rob

weealien
Not applicable
A really big thank you to James for his advice - working great for me here.

I find it rather shameful that Vodafone sends out an email referring to a fix thats available but nigh on impossible to find - how difficult would it have been to include a link in the email ? - they say it will be available from the end of September but send out the email in the middle of October - "quality of service" and "customer care" - Vodafone should try looking the words up in a dictionary.

Perhaps it would be an idea for Vodafone to start paying James instead of those on its payroll that are supposed to sort these things out.

rockettemorton
Not applicable
I am glad it worked and it should work for all macBook Pro running SL as this K3760 is simply a modem with the developers (Option not VF) having written the device drivers. You simply will not have the VF VMC software which in no ways effects your connection to the internet.

James

Thanks for that - mine's now working although I did have to use launch2net to get it going. When you use *99# do you not fill in any username/password?
I get an error but it's fine using launch2net although it cuts off after 5 minutes - it's not unreasonable to buy their software though!
I think it's incredible that Vodafone don't seem to be able to get this together when the driver exists. It can't be that difficult to bundle the Snow Leopard driver in with their package and support their customers who are currently paying a monthly rental and unable to use their stick!