Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone PAYG Broadband Dongle with NO time limit

CupraR
4: Newbie

Hello.

Approximately two years ago I purchased a Vodafone Dongle to be able to go onto the internet via my Laptop on the few occasions I am away from my Home Router.

It was purchased from Argos and for £15 I got 3GB of Data, which didn't run out except for a time limit of 270days.

I have now gone to top it up and I see a message I'll only get 1GB for £15???

What's going on, have I read the wrong thing?? Certainly hope so, I have had no literature from Vodafone with regards this.

Please put me out of my misery!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cheers Dave.

Still in the same boat though and unsure exactly what I will and what I won't and how long or how little a top up will now last. Guess I'll have to try it and find out.

Still can't get Content Control removed though, whenever I try via the website an error repeatedly comes up.

Thanks again

View solution in original position

94 REPLIES 94

drey_p
16: Advanced member

It simply pops up when you connect and then disappears after a while or after it is dismissed.

I am not commenting on whether or not I agree wheith how this was dealt with, just that Vodafone did send out some form of comms.  It would appear that some people didn't receive the message or didn't realise that they had received the message.

PWIAC

For the sake of all those people you did not receive it can we now see the terms that Vodafone have forced on us so we can have some idea what will happen when we put data on our Dongle.  I for one feel that if I put any data on my Dongle I am agreeing to their new terms which I do not!

Vince

drey_p

You'll find the T&Cs here

PWIAC

The T&C you pointed me to is an old one dated Aug 2013 when CS says it hapen 7 months ago.  I still want to see it in writing where they state that the  PAYG Broadband Dongle with NO time limit now expires after 30days.

Someone suggested that I can pay in £3 units but each unit lasts 24 hours!!

drj
11: Established

vwmorley - may I suggest you actually read through some of the relevant topics where your points have already all been discussed at length - over and over again. To summarise:

The T+Cs were updated in August 2013 - they are not "old" as you suggest.

The change to a time limted service was initially announced at the end of August 2013 via the transitory pop-up message already mentioned (blink and you've missed it! - I've attached a copy) NOT via a text message as Vodafone TechTeam members will persistantly aver, and came into effect in mid October 2013.

However everyone was issued with a free 1GB of data at that point with a three month time limit which ran out in late January 2014. So it wasn't until that point that most people effectively moved over to the new system although it was in effect for those three months and high-usage users would have been affected prior to January.

After that 1GB ran out people will have have to buy credit which has varying costs depending on quantity and time limit.

You don't HAVE to spend £3 per day - check out the options available by logging into your Vodafone account.

EDIT - spelling - why does this stupid forum software not accord with automatic spellchecking in Firefox and Chrome?

V W Morley -

There are NO T's & C's for mobile dongles - instead  VF rely on terms for mobile phones - where it's no particular hassle to make a cheageable call every 3 months (8p - or whatever) AND of course on a phone's credit doesn't expire every thirty days.

The T's and Cs are for phones and are the latest edition

It's a bodge and VF are too big to admit a fudge, fiddle or cockup

drj

OldGoat - click on the link above - it leads you to:

"Mobile broadband Pay as you go price plan from – August 2013"

Sounds pretty specific to me!

I've just fallen foul of this myself after using my dongle again for the first time in over a year. I was unable to connect online despite having non-expiry credit on it so I thought perhaps it was dormant and purchased a £15 voucher.

However upon adding that credit I could still not get online and after a huge amount of waiting on a GPRS signal in my area I got onto the VF site and read it needed to be activated by logging into my account..... yep, you guessed it - after so long not using vodaphone I couldnt remember my details and my password would have to be e-mailed to me...only it wouldnt let me use the web to access my e-mail grrr!

I then had to use my debit card to purchase a data pack directly for which has a one month expiry on it! This was the only option offered me and I was stuck out on a remote site at work with no other internet access and thus why i dusted off my dongle inthe first place.

Now my question is why was this change of terms not actually e-mailed to us owners who after all had to register in order to get rid of the annoying adult content filter?

Unwise to this change I've just wasted £25 trying to access a service I had already paid for and was still in credit for. I feel i should have been approached for a refund in regards to this, and further for the wasted voucher I've bought.

And then maybe I'll consider what I deem unfair limited time data plan on my device, especially as I'm working in a GPRS only area with an average throughput on a solid signal of 10kbps which is a lot less than dialup was 2 decades ago! Absurdly my datapack will expire before I can use any significant portion of it 😕

I totally agree and was caught in a very similar way to you.   I have the dongle for occasional emergency use, and this was the reason I bought it.

I, too, clearly didn't use it over the period where the pop up announcement was active.      Clearly Vodafone did not make every effort to contact customers.  Like yours, my dongle was registered online.  There is an email address associated with that - how hard would it have been to send an email to those customers effected?

And while most T&Cs allow price changes etc this is far more fudamental that that.  The whole selling point about this dongle was that it was sold on the basis that the data credit did not expire each month.  Removing that option is hardly a price tweak, it is a fundamental change to the product.

Now of course, like many large companies,  Vodafone have decided they don't want to honour this and have just treated customers as valueless.  When I called to find out why this device did not work I was told that I WAS informed and there was nothing I could do about it so pay up or cancel.

Given this device was not on sale for long before withdrawal, there can't be a vast number still in use compared with sales since.

If credit is purchased why does it matter to Vodafone when it's used?

If you liken data credit to petrol in a car - both needed to make it 'go'.... it is rather like filling a tank of petrol but if you don't use it within a month someone comes around and siphons it off so you have to buy it again.

Of course if that happened it would be regarded as stealing.......

just returned to Vodafone to use my dongle as same as many posting above and agree with all the complaints

total rip off and I'll now ditch the dongle and shop around for best option