Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ZTE K4201-Z COMPATIBILITY PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 8.1

dritpetros
4: Newbie

I have the following problem with the new ZTE K4201-Z 3g USB STICK.

When i put the stick in the usb port of my laptop (TurboX - Manufacture Clevo - W670SHQ),

the laptop crashes and gives me the message "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"

the laptop has Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit.

From Vodafone shop changed my stick 3 times, i spoke with the dealer-support of my laptop,

nobody can help me about this problem.

Notice that the stick works fine in a PC with Windows XP and Windows 7.

Please help me with this problem.

P.S. In my laptop the stick k4201 works fine, i tried from a friend.

35 REPLIES 35

This is answer of Vodafone Tech Team?

Hello, i have the same problem on windows 8.1 update 1 x64, BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x9f.

I have tried the stick on windows xp and 7 with success but on 2 laptops (Dell and Lenovo) similar hardware core i5 4gen with windows 8.1U1 i get the error after 10-20 seconds after the LED goes blue.

The thing is strange because it worked with windows 8.1, but i guess it is some update that changed something and now it's not working

On the computer there where no software added for months only windows updates ... framework etc. the usual from microsoft ....

Help :Smiling:

Hi

Yes unfortunately it would seem that it will not work.... both Microsoft and Vodafone Technical confirm this.

Only ZTE could write new drivers ... and this unlikely, as the K4201-Z is obsolete, ( and custom built for Vodafone  I think).

Whether Vodafone will offer customers a refund only they can answer ?

Cheers

Billy

Hi @ilconte and @billythewhizz 

Thanks for your posts. 

Unfortunately if our current software isn't supported by your PC/laptop, then we're unable to help further. 

We'll update our Mobile broadband software page once we have more info. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

Thanks Amanda

As a further update I've had to remove Vmb as I since found it had halved the speed of my Wireless LAN card.

Been complaining to Virgin...LOL

Sim card now needs topping up ... but I'll wait until I hear back from Vodafone Technical.... or possibly wait until Vodafone installs 4G round here.

I know I'm wasting my typing but .... why doesn't Vodafone just stick with simple software such as Mobile Partner (Huawei) and Join Air (ZTE) both of which are installed on my laptop and work perfectly.

Cheers

Billy

Hi

Another update ... but I managed to obtain another K4201_Z to test ... and very strangely its a totally different piece of hardware.

It looks identical .... but carries different hardware ids (1022 and 1023) ... and installs differently.

I'm guessing ZTE changed production... but did they tell Vodafone ?

Basically it only has a network interface ( No diagnostic or application ports).

It worked on my Win 8 laptop without software.... and on my Win XP laptop through a browser.

The only problem is it needed manual ejection to change it from CD mode to modem mode.

Can't comment on Vmb ... because I've removed it on the Win 8 and it doesn't work on the Win XP.

Still causes the "exception by the Opcus" as previously reported, without reply.

Cheers

Billy

How much more info you need.

You see that you have a compatibility problem with windows 8.1,

ask ZTE for new hardware drivers.

It is better to inform us here for a new firmware from having us

every day to check your firmware page.

Do you have any news regarding my problem?

I don't think that vodafone wants us as clients ... now i'm using K3765 that has a slower speed till June and then i will move to a diferent provider.

Hi @dritpetros and @ilconte

For further help with this, take a look at our Mobile Broadband software page.

Thanks,

Laura