You are here:

Pay monthly products & services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Re: Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

I should add that the general level of support that VF provide is pretty damn good in my experience so far, no complaints that way.

Little disappointed with the router which I imagine was rushed out with insufficent testing, but if you are fortunate enough to have spare hardware laying around it's workable. For those that have not however, it must be maddening.

Things I'd like to see in the next update;

1. NAT hairpinning
  2. Internal DNS pointing
  3. Switchable WiFi isolation (both frequencies and "Guest" or otherwise)

Other than that, it meets my needs.

Message 161 of 367 (13,788 Views)
Topics: 2
Solutions: 3

Hi Everyone,

Please speak to our Broadband team here.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Sarah 

Message 162 of 367 (13,683 Views)

This is incredibly poor. If your router doesn't work with SONOS, Android TV, etc you should be telling people before they take out a contract. I'm not a techie person, I don't want to be faffing around buying extra equipment. Will be cancelling my contract.
Message 163 of 367 (13,228 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

It's not that simple. There were issues WITH DLNA and media servers. This was rectified with a firmware update. The current issue is with the use of access points and the router losing the ability to communicate between wlan and lan after roaming.

I had no issue when the router was used in isolation.
Message 164 of 367 (13,200 Views)

Hi All,

I've tried reading through this entire thread so apologies if I've missed a solution....

I have my vodafone connect router (black one) with latest firmware.

I also have either a sky wireless booster, or a TP link wireless extender, both of which were used as a bridge to an ethernet printer. In essence, I'm making the printer wireless. (It's an old HP laserjet but does the job)

So I cannot connect to the web UI management page of either wireless extenders or the printer UI whilst on the main WIFI from the vodafone router. If I connect to the wireless SSID from the extender itself (thus disconnecting the direct connection to the vodafone router) I can print, ping and access all UI pages, as well as the internet.

Why can I not ping or access the extender or printer when on my main wifi signal from the router? Is this something that is being looked at?

I'm very disappointed with my vodafone experience so far and am still in my 30 day cooling off period so may well be cancelling. (A lot of installation issues and billing issues that have been extremely frustrating)

Cheers

Message 165 of 367 (12,512 Views)

@Pabs

Sorry to hear you are having issues and yes it is frustrating, been there. There is no solution as of yet on the VodaFone side, though there is a fix I believe coming in the next firmware update.

The problem (and verified by many) is that the VF router does not allow access to your extended network via WiFi. The only solution is to add *another* router to your VF router via its LAN ports and switch off the WiFi on the VF router so you can "roam" painlessly. Sound ridiculous? Sure. Currently that's the only solution.

Message 166 of 367 (12,503 Views)

Just to add to the mess, VodaFone cheaped out on the router. It is a Huawei router, the Kia of the routing world. Huawei are new to routing, and despite fanfare I heard from their tech demo with VF, it just does not work right.

So, just buy your own router for the service right? You got an ok deal for the service so get a proper router? That would be fine, but you can't. VF have made absolutely sure of that because you have no access to the authentication (or much of anything really). You can ask them, but you won't get it. Why? Business reasons, troubleshooting reasons or as I'm coming round to; because they think that you as a simple peasant can't possibly have any idea about how networks function, or have a use case that is outside of the Huawei router functionality.

I wish I had know this going in, but here we are. The most embarrasing part of my network? That Huawei router. Cheap plastic and they couldn't even glue the VF badge in aligned.

Didn't intend for this post to be a rant, I'm hopeful for a resolution soon but it's wearing thin now and we are not allowed to fix it ourselves by removing the stupid router. Good job VodaFone?

Message 167 of 367 (12,494 Views)

I have the exact problem, can't see my nas via wifi as they are connected with powerline adapters.  Have no other way of connecting the nas to the router due to distance.

Is there a fix?

Message 168 of 367 (12,363 Views)

No fix

Workarounds.

All wifi devices can be on 2.4Ghz network and work ok.
attach another router to the Vodafone router and use that instead for dhcp/lan/wan. - my current method as wifi drops of Vodafone router too.
Message 169 of 367 (12,362 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master

crysec wrote:

Huawei are new to routing,

I don't believe that is correct - Huawei have been supplying networking and telecommunications equipment for many years now.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button! Smiley Wink

Message 170 of 367 (11,398 Views)
Rank 9: Helper III

I'd have to agree, Huawei are far from new to networking. The problem is the same as all custom build firmwares in that they don't work very well. The main intention of custom build firmware is to lock down the router to a state the network is happy with rather than actually being an improvement. 

Adding this on to a Vodafone specification router, I.E. underpowered and cheaply built like all network supplied routers, and it's not a great recipie for success.  

Message 171 of 367 (11,293 Views)

I stand corrected on Huawei being new to routing. Perhaps this is my misconception, equating the arrival of their phones some years back to the few domestic routers I have seen in recent years.

Message 172 of 367 (11,256 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster

[ Edited ]

Personally, I don't care who makes the Vodafone Router/Modem. If it can't provide me with connectivity between my wireless computer and two wired printers its USELESS.

Fortunately I was able to obtain my usename and password to enable using my own equipment and I now can use both of my wired networked printers from my wireless computer.

Message 173 of 367 (11,232 Views)

How did you get your username and password? I would absolutely consider using my own hardware in place of the vanilla VodaFone router. Does that not "void" any terms / service agreements?

Message 174 of 367 (11,213 Views)

Some have had luck using the webchat and explaining it's a known issue.  It's by no means certain that you'll be given the details though.

Message 175 of 367 (11,203 Views)

Yes, how did you manage to get your username and password?  Would dearly love to chuck out the stock router and just use my own!

Message 176 of 367 (11,197 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am also having nearly all the problem described here. Wireless Sonos controllers can't find system when it is hard wired but works fine when Sonos is connected via wireless. Can't print to wireless printer from wired PC but can from all wireless devices, can only access WDCLOUD NAS from wired devices, full house of symptoms :-( .  I am on what I believe is the latest firmware 5.4.8.1.271.1.59.  Have done many tests at ping level with various connection methods and it is definitely an isolation issue between wired and wireless networks.  I am using split 2.4 and 5 GZ SSIDs and they can talk to each other but neither can talk to wired devices.  Have tried sharing, DNLA etc on and off on the router with no effect. Sometimes a router restart will fix the Sonos issue temporarily (as previous post have noted) but never for long. Vodafone this router AP isolation issue  needs to be fixed please as the last update has not done the job for all of us!

Message 177 of 367 (10,861 Views)

Three months, no patch.
Message 178 of 367 (10,852 Views)

Bit longer than three months...
Message 179 of 367 (10,839 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, so reading back through some of the recent posts here again I have narrowed it down a bit further and it seems to be 5Ghz related. I was running with "split SSID" turned on (same SSID for both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and in this mode there is always total isolation between wireless and wired devices. If I turn this off and set the single SSID to be 2.4/5Ghz then the situation improves and some wireless devices can see the wired ones. I wasn't able to find a pattern to which ones, it was not as simple as 2.4 could and 5 couldn't but I am sure there must be a pattern there somewhere. It still isn't ideal though as devices were hit and miss.  But when I run it with split SSID off and the frequency set to just 2.4 Ghz voila! everything can reliably communicate between wired and wireless. Clearly this is a work around as setup like this I am getting none of the benefits of the faster 5Ghz technology but at least  it is a workable solution while Vodafone sort the issue out.  It also may explain why people who were not having a problem before the last Firmware upgrade (that introduced the SSID separation feature) are now having problems. 

So in summary, the problem seems to be with AP isolation when using the 5Ghz frequency and/or split SSIDs.  If someone else who still having the problem could try turning off split SSID and forcing 2.4Ghz and report back then maybe we could confirm my findings .

Thanks

Pete

Message 180 of 367 (10,835 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up