Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems with a new S7 Edge

scrappysphinx
4: Newbie

Hi all, i have just received my Contract Samsung S7 Edge from Carphone Warehouse on Monday 27th March and am having issues. I can make a call and it will be fine for about the first 10 seconds and then it will start to sound like im in a underwater tunnels and then the call drops. This has been happening on every call in multiple locations. I am slo getting very slow speeds on the 4G, typically around 5-6Mbps and videos and things are buffering during playing and quality is dropping. I have checked the vodafone coverage on the website and this is showing as fine for 2g/3g/4g indoors and outdoors in my area (NG5) so i don't understand the issue. I did have a cover on the phone but have removed it and the issues are still present. At the moment i am on the verge of returning the phone and cancelling the contract as in a week i haven't been able to use it for its intended purpose. Incidentally the only call that hasn't experienced issues was when i phoned customer service to seek advice and was told its not our problem its carphone warehouse' cause thats where you got it from.

Please help.

50 REPLIES 50

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @scrappysphinx

The first thing to do is to give an example of the issue.  This can be done by completing the proforma on the link below, this will give the Team something to work on.

Network Issues

Hopefully, this will be something simple as a network fault, but as it's happening in multiple locations, it sounds like a phone speaker or software fault and you will need to go back to the point of sale for an exchange.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Issue is happening in multiple locations.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

Full postcode is NG5 5FS as in my profile.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I have no other phone to try the sim in.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Calls begin fine but after around 10 seconds they sound like im in an underwater tunnel and then drop. 4G data connection is also very slow and videos and media buffer and stutter when trying to play, video quality is lowered  and media still buffers. If my call records can be seen by a vodafone staff member it will show that multiple calls are made within a few seconds of each other as i try and make calls but they drop. This happens on incoming and outgoing calls. 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Issue is present all of the time

6) When did you first notice this issue?

From the first day of receiving the phone on Monday March 27th (New contract)

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

The issue is present at all times

BandOfBrothers

Hi @scrappysphinx

If this is repeating itself in multiple locations then my guess it's the phone or SIM card. 

Can you try your Sim Card in another phone as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card that may be at fault. Try another Sim in your phone. If necessary any Vodafone Shop can replace the Sim Card via a Sim Swap. 

Look to Cpw T&C's for cooling off period / exchanges. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The Vodafone network Checker Link > Here.

Indicates...

No known Network or Mast Issues. 

No plsnned maintenance.

signal should be good although this is an indication and not a guarantee.

Current Phone  >

Hi, thanks for trying to help.

I have been to my mothers to try another phone/sim

My Vodafone sim when used in her Motorola G4 phone worked for a call for approx 10 minutes.

I then put her O2 sim in my S7 Edge and made phone for a call lasting approx 2 minutes with no issues.

I then put the Vodafone sim back into the S7 and made a call and 30 seconds in it went garbled (again like being underwater) and the call dropped.

Where do i go from here as the vodafone sim and S7 edge appear to be incompatible together, but both seem to work fine independently from each other.

AnnS

Hi @scrappysphinx

From what you have just written, it looks like a faulty SIM card and new SIM card will solve the issue (fingers crossed).

If you pop into a Vodafone Store, they will be able to swap your number to a new replacement SIM.

The number needs to be put onto a new blank numberless SIM and the new SIM should be active within the hour.  Usually a quick turn off and back on does the trick, but sometimes you need to do a network search by going in to your network settings and scrolling down to more, mobile networks and selecting Vodafone.

Hi @scrappysphinx

Thsnk you for trying what I suggested. 

The sim sim can be replaced at any Vodafone Highstreet Store. It takes from a few minutes to very occasionally 24 hours to complete. 

The Samsung S7 edge supplied by Cpw will be an unlocked variant that they've just married up a Vodafone sim with. 

It may also be worthwhile just checking in with Customer service on 191 or Live Chat just to check over your account too. 

Current Phone  >

scrappysphinx
4: Newbie
I took the phone back to my local carphone warehouse and they replicated the issue and decided it was the phone at fault and have swapped it for a new one. A quick call while in the store appeared to work fine.

Good news. 

It wouldn't be reasonable to have to deal with a faulty phone so close after being issued it. 

Current Phone  >