Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal drops calls

Bengallienne
2: Seeker
I have a v2 sure signal, which I have had for a couple of years now. Recently it has started dropping calls shortly in to the call, regardless of whether I am making or receiving a call. The two solid white lights suddenly go out, the call drops and the the two lights flash for a short period before the first light going solid again and my phone reconnects again. I never lose signal while not on a call. I have tried a factory reset as per the troubleshooting instructions and it has not helped. I have checked my bandwidth and appear to have plenty. Can you help me resolve this problem please? It is making my phone unusable at home.

Thanks in advance
28 REPLIES 28

Hi Dave, it definately follows the handsets. My Galaxy s2 has no problems. Putting my sim in either of the other phones makes no difference, they still drop calls. The newer Galaxy mini2 held calls longer than the Galaxy Y, regardless of which sim was used. Both the Galaxy Y and the mini 2 work without problems when not using SS. The sim card normally used in these phones are calls and text only no internet, does this have a bearing? However my sim has internet access but the phones still drop the calls from SS.

When the calls are dropped the 3G light on the SS flashes for around 40 secs before becoming steady again, during which time the SS signal is lost. It's definately SS that is dropping the calls for whatever reason.

As if to prove me a liar, i've just had a 3 minute 20 second call on my Galaxy S2. When I ended the call on the phone SS dropped the 3g signal and both 3g and phone lights started flashing.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi wingco,

Which SIM card did you have in the Galaxy S2 when this happened? Was it the one it normally has in that you've said has no issues?

It's strange that the Galaxy S2 works fine but the others don't - it suggests the Sure Signal and connection are generally OK. This one case may just have been a hiccup.

Can you check that the phones all have the latest firmware installed? It's possible that if there's an update available, it addresses whatever's causing this.

Dave

Hi Dave, I had the S2's sim card in the Galaxy 2 when the 3g signal was dropped, right after I had terminated a call. It seems to be an intermittent problem.

Re firmware, the Galaxy S2 is up to date as is the Galaxy mini2. The SS seems to be working OK the 3g light is constantly on supplying a full signal to all phones. A factory reset doesn't help retain the calls on the Galaxy mini2. This phone works perfectly when not connected to SS. Am i right in thinking that a phone that isn't registered with my SS couldn't connect, even for a short time?

The reason I ask is because my wife called into the local Vodafone shop, and was told the problem may be due to how the phone was registered on the SS. Unfortunately the staff member didn't elaborate.

As a last resort I've double filtered the landline connection to the internet. So will see if that makes any difference.

Hi wingco1,

The only way that a phone will pick up the Sure Signal is if it is registered and the number has been added to the access control list.

If this is picking up a signal and making a call then it would suggest that the setup is fine.

You will often see a connection drop all call drops on the Sure Signal if there is interference on the line and a filter for your house phone may solve this.

On as side note, do you know if your Internet provider throttles your bandwidth if a lot is being used at once?

This could cause the VPN tunnel to close causing the phones to disconnect, however if this was the case I would expect it to happen on all of the phones.

At the moment there is only one number attached to the Sure Signal (40122442235) so I’d get these added back onto the registration as at the moment they will be only connecting through the Vodafone network.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your time on this. I'm on Sky Unlimited so shouldn't have a problem. I doubt we will actually get to the bottom of this, it's just a case of trial and error. This all started after the last but one resync which was done because both lights on the SS were flashing and did so for some time. Since then the problem with the Galaxy Y, which was a phone in regular use, started.

Not to worry, I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Luckily the Galaxy mini2 seems better at getting a signal in the house that the Y.

I am having the same problem. Plus, the flashing lights and apparent resync happens after a call is ended.

Speedtest;

ping 47

Download 12.28

Upload 0.83

Ping Test

Ping 39

Jitter 1ms

Line Grade A

IP 90.214.221.133

Bengallienne

Hi,

As suggested earlier in this thread, I have now purchased a new sure signal device, but the problems I have are still the same, if not worse (it regularly loses connection to the network all by itself now). I am looking in to returning right now, but is there anything you could try in the meantime to see if it can be fixed please?

Hi Bengallienne,

Do you have the serial number of the new Sure Signal box?

Also, can you confirm what light sequence you see when it's inactive and once it drops the connection?

Finally, are you using the same Ethernet cable? If so, try it with a different one so we can rule out anything deteriorating there.

Dave