Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal v3 overheating

Andrew123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
So this is my second Sure signal v3. The first kept overheating and dying so I took it back to the shop and got a new one. This one seemed better and took 3 days before it overheated.

However since then it now overheats after anything from half an hour to 7 hours. It's in an open well ventilated area. I don't plug anything into it, for fear that causes it to heat up quicker (not sure electricity, works that way, but why take the risk.).

The symptoms are: the sure signal dies after working fine for a period of time. At the point of dying, it is very hot. I unplug it. Leave it half an hour and then plug it back in. After a few minutes it's working again and will last between half an hour and 7 hours.

So my question is: is this normal? From reading the forums it does appear to be common, but I don't think it is performing as intended (or as I was led to believe).

Should I just accept that the v3 sure signal is a bad design without proper power management and heat dissipation, or have I been unlucky and most v3's work fine without having to give them an hourly dose of liquid nitrogen?
1 REPLY 1

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there Andrew123,

Thanks for posting.

If the VSS keeps overheating I'd recommend a repair/replacement.

Have a look here for what to do next.

Cheers,

LeeH