Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using the Same UK Number on Different iPhones

TrishL
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My husband had an extended visit in the UK and needed a UK mobile phone number.  Now his iPhone is able to switch between his US cell number and the one in the UK when he goes back over next time.  I'm about to travel to the UK to pick up where he left off and continue the work on our flat.  Sam at Vodaphone told him that I could also use the same UK number when I came over.  My question:  Do I need to remove the SIM card from his phone and bring it with me in order to use that same mobile number?

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Providing the SIM is still active and been used within the last 180 days, you can certainly use the SIM in any phone @TrishL , just place the SIM in your phone when you arrive in the UK and add some credit here: Top Up , you will need a UK credit or debit card to enter when topping up online, 

If you are unable to use the same SIM, you can easily pick up a new PAYG SIM from a Vodafone Store from the list here: Store Finder  or order a new SIM online here: Free SIM using your UK address. 

Edited Dear @TrishL please ignore my reply above   it's not relevant.

TY AnnS for the speedy reply!  We live in the US and each travel for a couple of months at a time to the UK.  We already have a yearly plan with Vodaphone.  Both of our iPhones allow for two SIM cards.  With the limited amount of knowledge that we have regarding this issue, I strongly feel that I should remove the UK Vodaphone SIM from Bill's phone and put it in my phone's extra SIM slot before I leave.  I can't see how we could possibly use the same mobile number otherwise.

AnnS

With a USA address @TrishL I though you would have a PAYG SIM.  

As you have mentioned the SIM can be used in any phone and most certainly in your phone when you're in the UK.

We bought a flat in England, Ann, so we actually do have a UK address.  And the good people that Bill had helping him redecorate also have that UK mobile number.  It's a real coup not to have to change to a new one. 

BandOfBrothers

Yes @TrishL you'll need to use the same sim card your husband used.

A UK Payg account and number only remain active as long as a call , data usage , text or top up is made within 180 days + 45 days. If no activity is made then the account is suspended and the number quarantined.

Then a person has 90 days to have the number re activated.

After that the number cannot be re acquired unfortunately.

You can check if the number is still live by calling it.

If nkt then as no credit check is needed for payg any Vodafone Store or places like Gas Stations and convenience stores can supply a new sim card with new mobile number.

I hope all goes OK with your flat 

I wish you all the best.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.