Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Zealand - cost of local calls

SteveBarry
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I will be visiting New Zealand in the new year. Having looked the Roaming information on the Vodafone site I can see that if I want to use my UK allowance it is £6 for each day I use it; OK so far

However I can't firnd any reference to making local calls with it! Can anybody help, does it cost £6 regardless of it being local or back to the UK (pretty unlikely with the time difference)

14 REPLIES 14

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @SteveBarry 

Unless you are on one of the tariffs where you will benefit from Global Roaming Plus, you will be charged £6.00 daily roaming when you use your phone.  You will however, be able to call local numbers in New Zealand inclusive in the daily charge. The daily charge will be based midnight to midnight of the country you are in. This will confirmed on this link: How much does it cost to use my device abroad?

Please also see this link:  Vodafone Global Roaming

I understand the Roaming charge the question really is about local calls with in New Zealand. 

How much does that cost? 

AnnS

Hi @SteveBarry 

If you click on this link https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/index.htmand put in New Zealand, you wil see the charges and the following:

'You can use your UK allowance to call or text standard landlines and mobiles within the destination you're travelling to, as well as the UK'

This means local calls within your destination.

BandOfBrothers

Just to add @SteveBarry 

We do hear of issues when a person reaches their abroad destination as Vodafone cannot guarantee things will work _ obviously I hope they do.

So just incase I'd suggest to request your phone to be unlocked to all networks if it isn't already just incase you need to use a local sim card.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your trip.   :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I'm guessing then that if I make international OR local call I will be charged £6 per day.

AnnS

Hi @SteveBarry 

That will be correct, every time you use your phone for outgoing Vodafone will add a very expensive £6.00 daily charge.  It will be free to receive so get all your friends and family to call you.

A workaround would be to put a PAYG SIM in the phone, you will then only pay for what you use.  Alternatively, if your phone is unlocked put a local SIM in the phone and you would even be able to use Vodafone New Zealand.

Now that's a good idea. 

I happen to have a dual SIM phone so that is a good solution. 

BandOfBrothers

@SteveBarry wrote:

Now that's a good idea. 

I happen to have a dual SIM phone so that is a good solution. 

Cool  :Smiling:

Just make sure they unlock both as it's a dual hybrid duos sim phone.

Make sure you've used a Vodafone sim card in both slots.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for that advice!

I hadn't used the second slot at all and, as I hadn't, I couldnt even remeber how to get at it. (I have a J530 and removing the back is a "pig")

I have now tried it and it is OK

Thanks again