Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Bought an iphone locked by vodaphone

Bilalahmadbacha
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi actually I have purchased iphond 11 pro max from someone else which locked by vodaphone I can only use vodaphone. My question is how to unlock my iphone as I have purchased it from someone else. Another thing, what will happen if that original owner didnt pay the bills Is the iphone will be blacklisted or what

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Bilalahmadbacha 

It would be very rare for a Network to imei block  / blacklist a phone for non payment of a bill.

The network would more probably stop the person from using their sim card to make more calls , texts and data etc to stop them racking up more costs.  i.e restrict services.

That said it woukd be up to the Network involved so it always carries a risk even if a small one !

The other risk is that the seller of the phone then reports it lost or stolen to claim on insurance.

In that case the phone is imei blocked and wouldn't be unlocked for anyone apart from the original owner. I believe if an insurance company pays out on an insurance claim then basically the iPhone then belongs to them technically.

This is a known scam from when people buy off auction sites and sometimes privately off people they don't know. 

In these cases the danger is you've lost use of the phone and your money would be hard to get back.

To unlock the iPhone you'll need to use a Vodafone Payg sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls , texts , data while being in the Uk.

After 30 days of usage then fill out the online Nuc Form. See the link below.

The only other option is to use an online unlocking site that is reputable and they'd charge you a fee.

Some useful information.

How-do-I-unlock-my-Vodafone-device-if-I-m-not-a-Vodafone-customer. 

Unlocking-your-phone. 

Unlock-code-request form 

To add when unlocking a phone.

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you. 

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a further 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your response.

I tried to unlock through officialsimunlock.com firstly they charged me £24 then they asked for £95 more to complete unlocked the iphone but, I refused to pay them more. If I use vodaphone sim for a month would it be possible to unlock it easily or they will also charge some amout? I also want to know is there any solution to register the phone on my own name ? Thanks 

I'm glad you didn't opt to pay the extra £95 @Bilalahmadbacha !

Vodafone Uk don't charge for unlocking.

The criteria are.

1. Your in the Uk.

2. You use the Vodafone Uk Payg Sim Card in the iPhone for 30 days + making calls , sending texts , using data.

3. You've not requested to unlock x3 phones in a 12 month period.

4. The phones hasn't been reported lost or stolen.

The official information is in the links i added in my first reply.

Your ownership of the phone is going to be difficult unless the seller passed on the receipt.

As far as Vodafone are concerned they supplied the iPhone to the original seller.

Just to add please ensure the original seller has fully reset the iPhone which allows you then to enter your own Apple ID and removes the activation lock to allow another person to use the iPhone.

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. 

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. 

Current Phone  >

Thank you brother for your kind response and time.

Yes I didn't pay the £95 hidden charges because on the website just £24 is mentioned but, do you think they can block my iphone if they don't recieve the remaining amount? Because they have my data? Like IMEI and serial number.

Anthor thing is, this iphone has 2 years warranty and only used for 5 days it's almost new.

Can I claim warranty if something goes wrong? And if I get insurance does it make my iphone safe? As I am worried of insurance scam you know nowadays some people do these type of offences. 

Hi @Bilalahmadbacha 

Only a Network can blacklist / block the imei of a phone.

An online unlocking site cannot.

The warranty follows the iPhone not the person so if a phone ever needs support Vodafone or Apple can see how long it has for warranty using the iPhone's serial number.

You could look into accidental damage insurance and or add it onto any Home Contents Insurance but this wouldn't help if the iPhone was blocked due to an insurance claim. No amount of insurance cover would help in that situation.

I hope the person who has sold the iPhone to you has integrity so you don't have such problems.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Hi 

I have just spoken to vodaphone customer care and they told me that the device is hardly used for 7 days so it’s not possible to get unlock before 3 months. I don’t understand the vodaphone website says that you buy phone from third person so join us as new customer and after 1 month we will unlock the device. Please advise me what should I do? If it is not possible before 3 months even for owner than how can I unlock it after 1 month.

Hey @Bilalahmadbacha, sounds like there's been a little mix up with the information you were given when you called us. As long as you've made calls, sent texts, or used data on your phone over a 30 day period, we'll be able to unlock it as advised by @BandOfBrothers. You can find more help requesting your NUC through our awesome guide! If you've still got any queries on unlocking your iPhone, don't hesitate to let us know and we'll be happy to take a look.

Thanks a lot for your kind response.

As I mentioned in my previous messages I have bought this iphone from someone but, this is new. would it be possible for this to be unlocked after one month if I become a vodaphone customer, or would it take 3 months? 

This iphone  still has 2 years warranty/apple care, if anything goes wrong with the mobile would I be able to claim the warranty or can only the original owner do this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Bilal

Hello.again @Bilalahmadbacha  :Smiling:

You ask....

"would it be possible for this to be unlocked after one month if I become a vodaphone customer, or would it take 3 months? "

The answer is you can unlock the iPhone as long as you use a Vodafone Payg sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls etc.

You ask....

" This iphone still has 2 years warranty/apple care, if anything goes wrong with the mobile would I be able to claim the warranty or can only the original owner do this? "

The answer is the warranty follows the iPhone and not the person so Yes you'll be able to use the warranty as long as the issue hasn't been caused by accidental damage by dropping it or water gets into the phone.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >