Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Credit report - incorrect defaulting payment

Ginnys
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Can someone please assist me? I am terribly upset. 

Today I checked my credit report via Experian and TransUnion for the first time. What I discovered was that both said I had an open financial account with Vodafone for a defaulted payment dated from 2018.  However,
I have never received any communication about this, missed a payment or indeed made a late payment - yet every month without fail a default is being recorded against my name. When contacting the support team and providing my details they confirmed that my associated account was closed and all outstanding payments were made. So I don’t understand what has happened or why I am being prosecuted? This is the first time I have heard about this payment for a contract I had when I had just started university.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jameshobb007
4: Newbie

If you believe there is an incorrect default payment on your credit report, it's important to take action to rectify the situation. An inaccurate default on your credit report can have a negative impact on your credit score and your ability to obtain credit or loans.

Here are the steps you can take to address the issue:

1. Obtain a Copy of Your Credit Report: Request a free copy of your credit report from each of the major credit bureaus – Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You can obtain these reports once a year at AnnualCreditReport.com. Review each report carefully to identify the incorrect default information.

2. Document the Error: Make a note of the specific error, including the account in question, the incorrect default date, and any other relevant details.

3. Contact the Creditor: Reach out to the creditor associated with the account that has the incorrect default. Explain the situation and provide any evidence you have that supports your claim. This may include payment receipts, correspondence with the creditor, or any other relevant documentation.

4. Dispute the Error with Credit Bureaus: If the creditor does not correct the error, you should dispute the incorrect information with the credit bureaus. You can do this online, by mail, or over the phone. When you dispute the information, be sure to provide a detailed explanation of the error and any supporting documentation.

5. Investigate the Dispute: After receiving your dispute, the credit bureaus will investigate the matter. They will contact the creditor and ask them to verify the information. If the creditor cannot verify the accuracy of the default, the information may be corrected or removed from your credit report.

6. Follow Up: Monitor your credit report to ensure that the incorrect default has been corrected. You can do this by checking your credit report regularly. Once the error is resolved, your credit score may improve.

7. Consider Legal Options: If the incorrect default is not resolved through the dispute process, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in consumer credit issues. They can provide guidance on legal actions you can take to address the issue.

It's essential to act promptly when you discover an error on your credit report, as it can take time to resolve these issues. Keep all communication and documentation related to the dispute, as you may need it as evidence in case the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction. A clean and accurate credit report is crucial for your financial well-being, so it's worth the effort to correct any inaccuracies.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Have a word with the Vodafone Social Media Team via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries and they'll involve the credit file reference team and also speak with Experian to advise them. They can add a Notice of Correction to your file while this is resolved @Ginnys 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jameshobb007
4: Newbie

If you believe there is an incorrect default payment on your credit report, it's important to take action to rectify the situation. An inaccurate default on your credit report can have a negative impact on your credit score and your ability to obtain credit or loans.

Here are the steps you can take to address the issue:

1. Obtain a Copy of Your Credit Report: Request a free copy of your credit report from each of the major credit bureaus – Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You can obtain these reports once a year at AnnualCreditReport.com. Review each report carefully to identify the incorrect default information.

2. Document the Error: Make a note of the specific error, including the account in question, the incorrect default date, and any other relevant details.

3. Contact the Creditor: Reach out to the creditor associated with the account that has the incorrect default. Explain the situation and provide any evidence you have that supports your claim. This may include payment receipts, correspondence with the creditor, or any other relevant documentation.

4. Dispute the Error with Credit Bureaus: If the creditor does not correct the error, you should dispute the incorrect information with the credit bureaus. You can do this online, by mail, or over the phone. When you dispute the information, be sure to provide a detailed explanation of the error and any supporting documentation.

5. Investigate the Dispute: After receiving your dispute, the credit bureaus will investigate the matter. They will contact the creditor and ask them to verify the information. If the creditor cannot verify the accuracy of the default, the information may be corrected or removed from your credit report.

6. Follow Up: Monitor your credit report to ensure that the incorrect default has been corrected. You can do this by checking your credit report regularly. Once the error is resolved, your credit score may improve.

7. Consider Legal Options: If the incorrect default is not resolved through the dispute process, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in consumer credit issues. They can provide guidance on legal actions you can take to address the issue.

It's essential to act promptly when you discover an error on your credit report, as it can take time to resolve these issues. Keep all communication and documentation related to the dispute, as you may need it as evidence in case the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction. A clean and accurate credit report is crucial for your financial well-being, so it's worth the effort to correct any inaccuracies.