Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"WiFi " & "WiFi 2" Signal Strengths

Midori47
4: Newbie

My "Wifi " and "WiFi 2" signal strengths seem to be quite different.

"WiFi 2" is  showing as 100% = 4 bars on the router bar chart, Whereas" WiFi " is weak (2bars only) on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz access points.

I have a problem with a device on the slower connection. Obviousy I should now try it on  "WiFi ",  but is the router cracking up?

Q2   If a specific device is not suitable for a 5.0 Gz WIFi service and I have my services set "2.4 / 5.0 GHz"  do I need to set the service to 2.5 GHZ , or can I leave it "2.4 / 5.0".  Will the device work it out by itself>   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Midori47 wrote:

As requested above images show WiFi and Channels. I must admit I do not understand either. In the BEST CHANNEL image it shows Ch 10, 11 & 12 as no-go. On the WiFi image it shows my router centered on Ch 11 and -63db. 

The app is designed to show you what channel would be best to use for a new setup.

It's saying not to use 11, as there are already very strong signals on it, but as they are yours it is meaningless in your scenario.

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

Jayach

@Midori47 wrote:

My "Wifi " and "WiFi 2" signal strengths seem to be quite different.

"WiFi 2" is  showing as 100% = 4 bars on the router bar chart, Whereas" WiFi " is weak (2bars only) on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz access points.

That seems rather strange, I would imagine they both use the same physical hardware, and the difference is purely logical.

Just how are you measuring them, and do you get the same result on multiple devices?

@Midori47 wrote:
If a specific device is not suitable for a 5.0 Gz WIFi service and I have my services set "2.4 / 5.0 GHz"  do I need to set the service to 2.5 GHZ , or can I leave it "2.4 / 5.0".  Will the device work it out by itself>   

If a device is 2.4Ghz only, the 5Ghz settings on the router will have no effect on it.

Jayach
@Midori47 wrote:

On second thoughts, are you saying you are using the analyser in the router? 

Jayach_0-1704479272310.png

That will only show results from external devices, not the router itself.

Midori47

I was using the mini 4-bars indicator on the 'Overview' tab.

The 'WiFi' Tab Analyser does not show my own router, only the neighbours signals. 

Jayach

I'm not sure I understand. do you have the THG3000 router or the new Ultra hub?

I have the THG3000, and I don't think the graphics for the Wi-Fi are active., this is what I see: 

Jayach_0-1704563427376.png

Picture will take a while to be moderated. What do you see?

Midori47

Router 2024-01-07.jpg

My router is described simply as "Vodafone WiFi Hub" with firmware 19.4..0551 - 3261103.

Jayach

Yes, that is the THG3000, there's a label with the name on the bottom.

There is a newer version of the firmware, if you factory reset the router it may pick it up. (the firmware update option in the router does't work)

Unfortunately our pictures haven't been moderated yet, so will need to see see just what yours shows before making any more suggestions.

Jayach

The pictures have now been moderated, but, unless I'm missing something, I can't see anything to suggest different strengths for Wi-Fi 1 and 2. 

Ripshod

Run a "wifi analyzer" on a mobile device and show screenshots plz. Figures from inside the router mean nothing. The dBm figures from your results just indicate how weak the signal is coming from other routers, and will generally increase with distance.