Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dead VSS3

ikl
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've had a working (well, as much as they ever work) VSS3 for a few months. Last week, I started getting various outages. Over the weekend (I've been away), i noticed the box had died - only a steady power light. Running a network monitor shows the box isn't even trying to DHCP for an address, so I think it's actually dead. I've tried umpteen resets and no other lights will come on.

Interestingly, logged into my account today and the SureSignal isn't registered on my account any more. 

VSS serial number : 40124107596

How do I go about getting this replaced?

Ta.

I.

17 REPLIES 17

... and it's been dead again for the last week. I get the flashing internet sign for a couple of hours, then it drops back to flashing power light with solid 'phone' in orange. Nothing's changed my end. It's still registered on my account. It's been power cycled a good few times.

Can someone please have a look at the back end?

Ta.

I.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ikl, 

The light sequence you mention shows the Sure Signal has a connection/IP allocation issue with the router. 

Please try deregistering again and then reregister after a few hours. I'd also reboot your router.

Can you also try a different Ethernet cable to see if this helps?

If you can try the Sure Signal at a different location we can rule out a fault with the device itself. 

Let us know how you get on, 

Kay

Hi,

tried it all. Still the same. Can you check to see if it's actually talking to your back end?

Ta.

I.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ikl

I can see it last connected to our servers on the 11/09/2013.

Were you able to test it at a different location? If the same thing happened it may be you have a faculty Sure Signal in which case the next step would be a repair.

Thanks

Sukhi

I have the same problem. It worked in July and has steadily become more and more unreliable. Now I have a solid red light and nothing else. Its been reset, Ive rebooted the router, Ive tried it in different locations. It hasnt got past the solid red light stage for two days. Its registered according to the dashboard.

My gut feel is that it needs replacing. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

mikeceast - So we can take a closer look we'll need a little more information.

Pop us these details and we'll see if anything jumps out:

• Your speed test results from here.
  • Your ping test results from here.
  • Your external IP address from here.
  • Your Sure Signal serial number

Can you also post the results of a traceroute for me?

On a PC

• Click on Start and select Run
  • Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  • A black box will appear.
  • In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply.

On a MAC

• Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  • Type traceroute 212.183.133.177 and press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply.

-------------------------------

ikl - I've given the box a fresh resync, so can you try resetting it again. This time, though, remove the Ethernet cable before pressing the button and pop it back in once you've finished the process. We've seen this help in a few cases.

If it doesn't help, then as Sukhi said, I'd suggest sending the box for repair.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I didn't reset it, but it's decided to start working again. Only have one out of 4 devices registered at the moment, but will see how things go.

Ta.

I.

After 2 weeks of flashing internet symbol, this magically sprung to life last night. I lasted a whole 12 hours (count 'em) before dropping back to flashing power, internet off, signal orange, in use orange.

Nothing's changed at my end. Can you please have a look at the back end to check the reTagistration etc.

This remains one of the most frustrating and unreliable pieces of consumer equipment I've ever had to deal with.

Ta.

I.