Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pixel 3A XL bootloader unlock

HAWTHORNE
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. I'm an Android developer, and I've been curious about upgrading to a Pixel 3A XL due to the monthly security patches and guaranteed updates to Android 11, 12 and possibly 13. This allows me to keep up with the latest SDK updates as soon as they're released and would be great for development. I'm very curious what Vodafone's policy is on unlocking the bootloader though. I've searched but the latest results are from 2016, and according to Google, unlocking the bootloader and/or rooting the device doesn't void the warranty at all. Does Vodafone uphold this, or is the phone's bootloader locked permanently like some of the models in the United States? Thank you for your time

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

As far as I'm aware @HAWTHORNE  Vodafone adhere to the manufacturers warranty terms and conditions as they typically send a phone that needs support to them for work or carry out the work in a repair house with authorised engineers as long as the phone passes their criteria checks.

I've had a look myself on places like Reddit and owners of pixel phones have stated they were not denied support and show some Chat Transcripts from Google Agents saying this does not void warranty. 

After all one of the points I like about Android is that it's opensource so it would be a shame if a person was denied support.

Of course it would also depend on the nature of the issue that needs putting right. i.e user caused !

To get clarification I would suggest to engage with Googles own online chat support and or search for any relevant Policy on this from Google.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.