main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Broadband Free Gift Offer

4: Newbie

Morning all,

I see at the moment that Vodafone is running a promotion for a free gift (worht up to £199) for new broadband packages which was tempting me in. So I had a quick discussion on LiveChat about how I would be able to choose the free gift only to be told it is (in their words) "a kind of a lottery" and I could end up receiving any one of the 5 different options.

Personally I'm only interested in one of the options so this instantly put me off, but due to past experience with LiveChat I'm aware that sometimes things are a bit lost in translation. So I was wondering if someone from the Vodafone team could confirm whether this is in fact the case? It just seems very strange to me to run this kind of promotion as an incentive but make it pot luck what you might receive.

View more options
74 REPLIES

I'd go for "lost in translation". Here is a link to the terms & conditions for the offer:

https://www.tlcmarketingrewards.co.uk/broadbandgift/terms.php

In the "how to participate" section it explains that you make your purchase and you then fill in a form and within 7 days (only your broadband is active and you are passed the "cooling off" period) you'll recieve your unique code. Point E then states:

1. You must visit the redemption website and choose your gift within 14 days of receiving this confirmation email.

It would seem mad that you would be sent a "random gift" and the T&C's indicate you get to choose. It does go on to say:

• The choice of colour and size is subject to availability and while stocks last

So indication that as the promotion runs, the choices may become more limited. However, once again, it states "your choice".

View more options
2: Seeker

I guess as the Sonos is the most valuable of the options, if you were to receive one of the others (assuming you were to choose the Sonos) then you could ask for a credit to compensate - especially as it is a little ambiguous?

View more options
Administrator

@wwhyte92 Taken from the Ts&Cs of this offer (also listed by @Soofla)

• You must visit the redemption website and choose your gift within 14 days of receiving this confirmation email.
  • The gift is a choice the following
  • The choice of colour and size is subject to availability and while stocks last

All of the above would appear that you can indeed choose which item you wished to redeem, obviously taking into consideration the last bullet point. :smileyhappy:

View more options

I've recently signed up to Vodafone Home Broadband, and I admit that the offer of a free gift worth up to £199 did perhaps sway my decision to sign-up.

But obviously it was also because it was the best price I could find for unlimited 76mb fibre in my area, and ultimately I would still be saving money when compared to my current Virgin Media package.

However, I think we're all being a bit optimistic if we think we will get a free gift worth up to £199, as they have stated there is limited availability, this could mean there is a single item of the free gifts abvailable, and once they've been claimed everyone else will only be able to claim the £75 Mastercard ( which can take up to 60 days to arrive! )

I'd like to know just how many of the free gifts are available.

View more options

Now that is information you'll never be given! From what I remember, there are laws governing this i the UK. Something along the lines of "if the exact number of 'prizes' are not disclosed, there has to be a reasonable expectation of 'winning' your choice.
This specifically stopping somebody from doing what you mention - having 1 each of perceived, more expensive gifts and then the bulk being made up of the cheaper option.
Remember, Vodafone will have paid nowhere near the £199 retail on those items they are offering - think somewhere in the region of 50% of that.

View more options

Yeah, I know we'll never find out how many of the gifts are available, but this isn't a competition to win a prize, it's advertised as a free gift when you sign up, and so that suggests that it shouldn't require any luck to claim one of the gifts on offer.

Obviously it's designed to attract customers to sign up, and so is misleading on purpose.

If I'm honest I'm getting concerned about the service on offer from VF, and that's before I have even been activated.

The letter that arrived a couple of days ago suggests that a BT Openreach engineer may need to activate my line externally before my service can go live, and that I will have to pay an up-front 'Engineer Visit' charge.

That's very vague, surely VF should know if and what I will be charged, and no connection or setup fees were mentioned during the sign-up process.

This seems at odds with the  'Joining us and charges' section of the letter where it states:

One off charges -

Delivery charges, router fee, connection and installation charges may apply. you will be informed of these charges ( if they apply ) when you order your services. Please see the price plan on our website

for details.

As I've not been made aware of any charges, except the £30 month for the service, then do I assume I won't be getting charged?

View more options
Administrator

@Johnnie-Walker As we'll need to look into your specific issue to check for any other costs, please contact our Broadband team on 08080 034 515 (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week. 

View more options
3: Seeker

I signed for the offer on the 11th September. I have received all the confirmations but nothing in relation to the free gift. How long does the initial email take?

View more options

There is a new offer of £20 p/m for 18 months which you may be able to switch to. (Worth £90)

View more options

I'm slightly peeved to have signed up like other people for Vodafone Home Broadband Fibre with the free gift offer (I opted for the £75 Mastercard card) only to discover this morning they have lowered the price of the service by £90, but the free gift seems to be gone. 

Given the somewhat complicated procedure with several hoops to go through and the length of time to get the gifts...especially the £75 pepaid Mastercard (up to 90 days it seems, IF you send 2 separate claim e-mails WITHIN 2 weeks, else you cannot claim the gift, which seems a bit unethical to me), I'd much rather opt for this simple lower pricing proposition. 

Someone mentioned it may be possible to "switch" to the lower pricing offer, but I'm guessing not if you're already on that service (Fibre 38)? 

Since I signed up on 11/09 and my service hasn't been activated yet, I'm guessing I'm still covered by the OfCom and other consumer laws about "cooling off" and cancellation, and can just exit from this contract, and re-order again if I cannot move to the lower pricing and give up the gift offer?

Another slight peeve, is that I signed up via TopCashBack hoping to get the £31.50 cashback offered by Vodafone, only to find the sale was not tracked at all and is not showing any site visit or sale, which is unusual, as I never have any problem normally with that site and use it regularly.  I'm not confident that TCP will be able to track this claim with Vodafone or payout - that's reason enough to cancel my order I think!

Paul

NB A couple of other things about Vodafone don't exactly inspire me with confidence that I've made the right choice here.. firstly, the order tracking facility doesn't seem to work. I know it takes 24 hours to update a new order but I've tried it from 12th until today 14th, and it keeps saying "invalid details" even though I've entered the correct order number and my postcode. Today I see Vodafone's website is also reporting a "system error" every time you try and sign-up again for Home Broadband (at the stage where it checks availability on postcode and/or phone number. 

View more options

Hi, 

My 2 cents worth... looking at this from a legal standpoints, I think the last point can only be used materialy in so far as, you might get a set of speakers in a different colour or shape than the ones shown. But I believe, as others have indicated, Vodafone is legally bound here to offer the item selected, ie if someone asks for £199 speakers, Vodafone has to provide speakers (or compensate) they cannot say "we've ran out of speakers". That's absurd. 

The offer constitutes a _legal contract_ and is also I suspect covered under the Advertising Standards and other Distance Selling laws.  Vodafone is offering something specific in return for buying a service. And the customer gets a choice. It's not a competition. It's a gift.  "While stocks last" can only apply to the specification/appearance of the item i.e if it's no longer possible to buy that exact item, then Vodafone may offer slightly different, but it should be essentially the same item/same value.

I'm pretty sure if this went into the Small Claims Court a judge would view it exactly like that, and the ambiguous wording fo the final bullet point couldn't be intepreted or used as a way for Vodafone to offer a totally different or random gift or a lesser value.

View more options

@liamjl - Please see section 3 from the Terms and Conditions, for the process of claiming your free gift and when you can do this.

Providing you've purchased Vodafone Home Broadband directly from us between 10 August 2017 and 11 September 2017, then you’re eligible for the free tech gift. 

@morphix - I’m sorry to hear you’re not happy about the new offer that’s come out.

Our deals are always changing.

We can look into what’s happening with your order, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

View more options

Hi,

Has anyone who signed up for the most recent promotion actually had their email containing their code to claim the free gift? If so, how quickly after the service going live did you get the email with the code?

I signed up in mid August, went live on the 4th September (no problems there), but it's now the 20th and I've heard nothing.

Given the number of hoops to jump through to get the free gift, I dont want to miss any of the critical cut of points in the process?

Thanks

Steve

View more options

I also haven't received my code, signed up on the 16th of august, and activated 13th sept. I spoke to live chat who said it'd be sent within 7 days of going live but still havent received anything!

I now think we dont receive a code until after the cooling off has completed and we've done the steps below.

When can I register for my free gift?You can register on this site once your Vodafone Home Broadband is active and you have completed your 30 day cooling off period– this is usually about 44 days after you purchased Vodafone Home Broadband.

What information will I need to register for my free gift?

You will need to provide your post code, home telephone number and order reference (these will be shown on your Service Confirmation Letter) in order to be validated. Once validated we’ll send you a link to redeem the offer, at this stage we’ll need to take your email address and postal address so we can process your gift choice and get it to you.

View more options

I have just received an email re free gift.

My activation date was 06/09/17. The email states that I can register for my free gift on or after 07/10/17, i.e. the 31st day after activation. I will then be sent another email asking me to choose my gift.

Hope this helps.

View more options

I was able to register from the email today after if failed over the weekend to reconise my order and details 

I got this message back (see attach)

let's hope I here from them in the next 7 days 

View more options

Attachments

Apologies if it has been asked before but how many days after connecting should you get your free gift email? I connected to fibre last Thursday (21/09/2017). Also checked the junk folder.

View more options

Hi @craigr98, if you purchased or upgraded your broadband during our promotional period (10 August - 11 September), you can register your interest after completing your 30 day cooling off period - so on 22 October you can pop your details in the link I've provided to claim your gift

View more options

Natasha wrote:

Hi @craigr98, if you purchased or upgraded your broadband during our promotional period (10 August - 11 September), you can register your interest after completing your 30 day cooling off period - so on 22 October you can pop your details in the link I've provided to claim your gift

That's a completely different answer as to what I got on the broadband chat they informed me that I would get an email invite within a week of connecting? 

View more options