main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Own Router - Recommendations

10: Established

Hi,

For those that have managed to get their username and password out of Vodafone, what 3rd party router have you found works and have you run in to any issues?

View more options
78 REPLIES
4: Newbie

I just tried to get these details having signed up for the service - the operator stated that regulations mean they are not permitted to provide this info to customers. 

View more options

As I said, this post is for those that have got their details and recommendations for a 3rd party router.

View more options

Hey there I am using a ASUS router/modem combo that is working fine for me, though it notoriously has issue with dropping vdsl on the forums but works good for me, no drops, and it's WiFi is great which makes me happy

There is a great thread on the kitz forum that discusses various modem routers for VDSL - If I were buying a new router tomorrow I'd be checking what cabinet I was connected to and matching with that chipset I think as it seems to give a better connection.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

View more options
2: Seeker

Personally, I'd go for a separate modem, router and access point setup. You usually find the kit is better featured than the all-in-one models and the components can be upgraded easier as the technology moves on.

Something like Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway router, their UniFi AP AC Lite for the Wifi, and a Vigor 130 for the modem.

View more options

Hi,

Has any one managed to get this working? I need to be able to mange some kit behind the router and could do with getting this working. 

From a port scan I can see it's opened the appropriate ports on the firewall, but connections aren't being established, either from Windows or IOS clients. As usual the routers logs don't show anything.

On the back of this can one of the Vodafone moderators please ask product management to up their game regarding this router, as this is the customers only option (until our contracts expire anyway)? 

• Can we please have some documentation for the router?
  • What does the firewall on/off switch do? The routers NAT feature should only route established connections back into the LAN side, so is it just protecting the router itself? 
  • The VPN client and server:
    • How do we configure it?
    • What encryption algorithms does it support?
    • What through-put can we expect for L2TP, PPTP
    • Can the logs be picked up and shown in the Web GUI?
  • Port forwarding, can we have the ability to filter by source IP?
  • Firmware updates, can we have a change log, and have some notice of when they are about to be rolled out?

Many thanks.

View more options

Hi,

Thanks Paul & Nigel.  I'll take a look at the kitz site for ideas.  I imagine a router with the broadcom chipset will be better to match the huawei cabinet.

I do have a Openreach modem still in the drawer, so one option is to just get a router.  I've already got a Ubiquiti AC Pro for upstairs, but was trying to avoid getting another one, plus a router just because of the cost - ends up being quite expensuve to just avoid using the VF router!

View more options

When using your own router, did you have to do anything other than enter the username and password, e.g. did you need to set the VLAN or similar?

View more options

Out of interest, which service are you using for them to give you the username and password?

Is it 40/10 or the 80/20 as some posters have suggested that all users have the same connection at the exchange and the rate limiting is done in the router (hence the reluctance for handing out usernames and passwords).

View more options

Hi - Definitely support the suggestion for seperate Modem, and depending on where you want your WiFi AP(s?) and Ethernet ports you may do better with seperate Router and WiFi. If you have an Openreach modem in a drawer and it's a Huawei HG612 then by far the simplest answer is to use that - "unlock" it using the instructions and replacement firmware on the Kitz site if you want to see detailed Line stats.  With or without unlocking it should "just work" if set (reset?) to its default Bridge mode and driven from a "Cable" router setup to use PPPoE on the WAN port.  Don't know about setup / unlocking if you have an Openreach ECI modem, but if you want to buy something then there are large numbers of used HG612s on Ebay for around £25 (get a 3B by choice). If money no object then the Draytek Vigor 130 seems to be the best standalone modem option. Any modem you buy now will need to be replaced if or when G.Fast or FTTP arrives as an option.

I'm using an HG612 with an old Asus RT-N66U and it's rock solid - not the fastest WiFi available but enough for what I want, significantly better coverage than the VF Connect and certainly more stable.

YMMV...

View more options

PS - I'm subscribed to 40/10 and can't really comment on the notion that the reason VF are being so anal about releasing credentials is due to them subscribing everything at 80/20 with OR, as I'm a fair way from the Cab with a Max Attainable Synch speed reported as c.35/6.

What I have noticed is that my latency has improved since connecting up the HG612 and that G.INP is now certainly configured and active on the Downstream. I've no way to tell whether the VF Connect box actually supports G.INP, but the (reflashed) HG612 does. If the VF Coonect router doesn't and heavy Interleaving was active before that would account for the latency boost...

View more options

Hi.  Thanks for the replies

@nigel84894 There's no correlation between getting a username and password and the type of product you're on.  Also, two products are sold based on the same underlying technology - 40/10 & 80/20.  It's BT Openreach who sell these products to Vodafone and there's a cost difference between the two.  Vodafone don't buy the faster one, then throttle the speeds.  Rate limiting is certainly not done by the router.

@florca Unfortunately my BT modem is the ECI one, so it would mean buying a new modem and router to make a real difference (or getting combined unit).  The more I spend the less it's worth staying with Vodafone and possibly better to go to a new provider.

View more options
3: Seeker

You can now use your own router so long as it is on the list of approved OpenReach modems and of course you accept Vodafone don't support Third Party kit.

Just go on to the support chat and ask for your credentials.

I got all my details this morning.  No hassle no problem.

View more options
12: Established

Thank you for that information.

With that good news, I could consider becoming a customer when my current contract expires!

View more options
9: Established

@MrWhite
Vodafone have been installign their own equipment in BT cabinets up and down the country, hence the reason their fibre isn't available everywhere. They have not bothered with ADSL infrastructure.
If you order the ADSL connection from Vodafone you are being fed a 40/10 fibre connection that is being throttled to ADSL speeds.
What this does mean for customers is they should get as "near as damn it" the full 16mb from their connection.

View more options

@Lochsielad - when you say "Openreach approved" are you saying there's a specific list available and is there a link to this?

@Soofla - not sure if you've posted to the wrong post, but this thread has nothing to do with Vodafone's throttled fibre product for its ADSL. Also, Vodafone has been installing its kit at the exchange, not at the cabinets. 

View more options
View more options
1: Seeker

I moved over to Vodafone fibre from Sky on Friday - after i signed up last month. 

Messaged chat and they gave my my username and password (you have to ask for the PPPOE username and password) - which didnt work in my Asus DSL-AC68U - incorrect login - so messaged again later in the day and asked if the username needed an extension like Sky does? and was given the same username and password... but was asked this time what router i was using - to which they checked and said it wasnt supported by BT so wont work!.

After a bit of searching on the Kits forum found out that the username should have after it "@broadband.vodafone.co.uk"

In terms of speed compared to their router my Asus has connected slightly faster (56mps  vs 59mps) but the sync speeds are a little less. However my main gripe with the VF router was the poor wifi - didnt even cover my garden - back on my old Asus now i can get full 5Ghz wifi even at the back of the garden!

View more options

@florca - thanks for the link.  All of those listed I believe sre pure modems so would mean having a two box solution.  I'd imagine anything with the broadcom chip those modems use would work also namely mode/routers from TP-Link and Netgear.

I'm hoping to used a combined modem/router, the new TP-link ones look favourite at the moment.

View more options

@MrWhite wrote:

@florca - thanks for the link.  All of those listed I believe sre pure modems so would mean having a two box solution.  I'd imagine anything with the broadcom chip those modems use would work also namely mode/routers from TP-Link and Netgear.

I'm hoping to used a combined modem/router, the new TP-link ones look favourite at the moment.

Hi - I think many of the devices on the list are combined Modem / Router / AP (single box) - eg Vigor 2860AC (and the other Draytek devices except the Vigor 130), but this isn't the whole story. I don't think the list has either been updated by Openreach for some time or represents a good (certainly good value...) selection of current devices. See some of the comments following this story for example...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/2016-update-router-options-for-uk-fttc-fibre-broadband-...

which leaves a bit of a dilemma - none of the "consumer" brands except Zyxel (eg TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys) appear to have even submitted their kit to Openreach for testing, harking back to the days when BT in theory required anything connected to their phone network to have an "approved" green triangle sticker, but vast numbers of perfectly good phones operated happily without - or even earlier when only GPO phones could be connected.

Seems to me that if cost is important and you want to stay completely legit and honest with VF then buy a Zyxel (heavily endorsed in this Kitz thread as a good option)... :

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

If you want a great approved Modem / Router, with some pro routing features but maybe not the best WiFi then the Draytek devices always get a good press but at a higher cost.

On the other hand, others seem to be quite happy to tell Vodafone that they have one of the devices on the approved list, whilst actually plugging a TP-Link or Netgear device, with VF none the wiser. Worth remembering that if you want any future support from VF then you're going to have to reconnect your VF Connect HHG2500 anyway before they will even speak to you...!

View more options