main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Slow Broadband Speeds (Peak Times)

2: Seeker

So I speedtest my broadband in the morning and it hits the full 76mb, when I get home from work around 4/5 the speeds are lucky to get 10mb, the other night my xbox on ethernet was downloading at 3mb.

What do I do? I tried live chat and I was advised to change my WiFi channel, not sure how on earth that would help on a LAN.  And to change the micro filters and try connecting directly to the test socket, neither worked.  It was fine for the first two months and now its dross.  I Wish I could just cancel and move supplier, tried calling earlier and was on the phone for 30 minutes on hold.

View more options
12 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hello @agolding

I use another well known ISP and the same can happen with my speeds. 

When I run a speed test on my Home Hub 6 The speeds can drop in the evening due to increased traffic - I assume. 

I mainly use WiFi so I’ve done the generic changing wireless channels and split the frequencies on the router which helps. 

My ping stats are Ok so it’s not a line fault - I assume your ping stats are ok ?

So what I’m trying to say is this isn’t just about Vodafone Broadband speed drop affects others too. 

Apart from trying another Ethernet Data Cable and or try a 3rd party router I do not think there is much more at your end that you can do. 

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

thanks,

I've tried another router and have the same problems. 

I understand it dropping a bit but if guaranteed 52mb and sometimes get 3mb at peak times its appalling. Never had these issues with bt or sky.  Every morning it hits 76mb but might drop to 4mb at 5pm

View more options

@agolding You might want to try changing your Wi-Fi Channel, if another wireless device (even next door) is using the same channel as your router, they could compete for the airwaves.

Please follow these steps and let us know how you get on 👍

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

View more options

Thanks TJ. 

I have the same issue with a completely Wired connection though so its not the wireless at fault particularly.

I can only assume its vodafone/exchange related. Seems a lot of people seem to be having the issue

View more options
4: Newbie

I have the exact same issue started recently

View more options

I am having the exact same issues it has been going on for two months,  I have been dealing with it with Vodafone for the last month and still nothing is getting sorted.

Morning fine full speed, afternoon fine full speed, come 8pm it's down to 3 meg and I'm on Firbre 76.  All fine at midnight or the following morning.

It's obviously contention at the exchange, but Vodafone try and fob you off,  I spent an hour on the phone to tech2 support last thursday with a final outcome of I can't connect to your router so can't help you.

They tried to blame my setup,  I have ethernet straight from the router to my PC,  the refused my speedtest screenshots as they don't have a date or time on the screenshot, even though the date and time is on the saved file.  They also assume everyone has windows as thats's the first thing they say put your PC in safe mode,  wait hang on I don't even have windows!  Toally useless tech support team full stop.

Basically you have a contract with Vodafone to provide you with a minimum speed, it will say it on the letter they sent through, if they are not providing it they are in breach of that contract.  Raise a complaint through resolver as if you try and raise a complaint through Vodfones complaintform then you need a valid Vodafone mobile number or it won't let you, brilliant!

View more options

WileE2017 wrote:

I am having the exact same issues it has been going on for two months,  I have been dealing with it with Vodafone for the last month and still nothing is getting sorted.

Morning fine full speed, afternoon fine full speed, come 8pm it's down to 3 meg and I'm on Firbre 76.  All fine at midnight or the following morning.

It's obviously contention at the exchange, but Vodafone try and fob you off,  I spent an hour on the phone to tech2 support last thursday with a final outcome of I can't connect to your router so can't help you.

They tried to blame my setup,  I have ethernet straight from the router to my PC,  the refused my speedtest screenshots as they don't have a date or time on the screenshot, even though the date and time is on the saved file.  They also assume everyone has windows as thats's the first thing they say put your PC in safe mode,  wait hang on I don't even have windows!  Toally useless tech support team full stop.

Basically you have a contract with Vodafone to provide you with a minimum speed, it will say it on the letter they sent through, if they are not providing it they are in breach of that contract.  Raise a complaint through resolver as if you try and raise a complaint through Vodfones complaintform then you need a valid Vodafone mobile number or it won't let you, brilliant!

What is vodafone resolver?

View more options
3: Seeker

Exactly the same problem in RG3 - Getting nowhere with vodafone been told its a issue in my area (cant do anything about it)

View more options

I've had the same issue since joining Vodafone just over a month ago, they don't care, so good luck getting a fix!

current speeds for you.. 

View more options

You can request to leave as they are not providing the level of service they and contracted to do, I am giving them one week and request to leave

View more options

There is a website that will handle the complaints for you.  As the Vodafone complaint form on their website requires you to have a vodafone mobile number or they won't process the complaint, I have tried.

Search google for resolver complaint vodafone

You can even monitor the complaint from an app on your phone.

View more options
View more options