main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Vodafone router as modem only

2: Seeker

Hi,

I originally posted this in the wrong forum...

I'm not an advanced IT person when it comes to setting up networks but am wanting to limit the function that the Vodafone hardware plays and use my apple AirPort Extreme to do the 'routing'. At the moment I haven't been able to get it working and suspect I am missing something basic. What I have done so far is

Vodafone router
Set up to 192.168.1.100
Turn off dhcp

AirPort Extreme
Set to dhcp + nat
DHCP range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 with AE as 192.168.1.1
Reservation for MAC address of Vodafone router to 192.168.1.100
Tried different options for DNS (both same as Vodafone router and also 8.8.8.8)

Hardware from LAN port of Vodafone router to WAN port on AE

Am I missing something obvious or is it not possible to do this with the current firmware vodafone router? (Previously have had AE in bridge mode but now experiencing intermittent failures as described by other posts in the forum)

Also, if I am able to get username password I assume I use PPPoE connection through a 3rd party fibre modem on my AE?

Cheers
Andy

View more options
42 REPLIES
Hi,

I'm not an advanced IT person when it comes to setting up networks but am wanting to limit the function that the Vodafone hardware plays and use my apple AirPort Extreme to do the 'routing'. At the moment I haven't been able to get it working and suspect I am missing something basic. What I have done so far is

Vodafone router
Set up to 192.168.1.100
Turn off dhcp

AirPort Extreme
Set to dhcp + nat
DHCP range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 with AE as 192.168.1.1
Reservation for MAC address of Vodafone router to 192.168.1.100
Tried different options for DNS (both same as Vodafone router and also 8.8.8.8)

Hardware from LAN port of Vodafone router to WAN port on AE

Am I missing something obvious or is it not possible to do this with the current firmware vodafone router? (Previously have had AE in bridge mode but now experiencing intermittent failures as described by other posts in the forum)

Also, if I am able to get username password I assume I use PPPoE connection through a 3rd party fibre modem on my AE?

Cheers
Andy

View more options
17: Community Champion

Hi,

A similar thread which may help. 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/BT-Home-HUB-5-to-Airport-Extreme/m-p/2426126/hi...

Also the Broadband Department maybe able to help too if you can't get it working from any advice from the forum. 

Got a question?

08080 034 515
(free from all UK landlines and mobiles)
Lines are open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week

Current Phone > Samsung Note9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

hi,

thanks for coming back to me. The settings 'm trying to check are being the bodafone router and the apple extreme rather than a sure signal

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @Miller_andy

The best way to discuss this further is to call our dedicated Broadband Team on 08080 034 515 and we will help you further. 

Louise

View more options

Andy - I've had this solution working on a Virgin line - but am moving to Vodafone so if you get a working solution I'd be grateful if you would post it here.  

One thing you will need is the the address of the Vodafone DNS servers  to put in your Apple Extreme and any subordinate Apple Expresses if you use those.    

Steve  

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Steve-n

Can I help with anything today?

Louise

View more options

Well since you're offering - details of how to set up my new Vodafone router to act as modem only.  I'd prefer to use my Apple Extreme and associated Apple Express units to provide wifi throughout my house (it's Victorian with thick walls so a single wifi unit doesn't cover it).

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @Steve-n

I cannot offer help on using other softwares / devices. 

We recommend using our Vodafone router for the most stable, reliable connection.

Louise

View more options

Louise

This is a thread about finding a way to use the Vodafone router as a modem only - something quite a number of your customers will want to do - e.g. to use Apple Extreme / Express for extra range and functionality so there's no point you contributing if you won't help.

I've tested my new Vodafone router - and if that's all I use I'll have to decide which half of my house gets wifi,  because the single appliance will not cover it all.

So - if you can't provide any help,  and I can't work out all on my own,  how to do it - that's a deal breaker.   

sorry

Steve

View more options
4: Newbie

I set up my Airport Extreme last night in a way to use this terrible Vodafone router like a modem.

It involved disabling all features on the VF and setting its LAN IP to 10.0.0.1.  Then opened the DMZ and pointed to 10.0.0.2.

I set up my AE WAN IP as 10.0.0.2 and its LAN the normal 192.168.1.*

I know this is considered 'double NAT' but I have no ill effects even with ports open and forwarded on the AE for CCTV use.

I now have my Airport Extreme handling everything except the login to VF with top secret username and password.

Like others, I was assured I would be able to use my own router 'to replace' the VF tat.  Support will no longer stand by this promise made by sales.

View more options

Hi all,

My end solution was to set up the VF router with DHCP server off and an IP address of 192.168.1.1. I let the VF box do the NAT

I set the AE with the following:

- internet tab,  Static and  iP of 192.168.1.2 with VF router as 192.168.1.1

- network tab, with router mode on DHCP only and range of 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.100

I'm sure there would be good reason not to do this however it has got rid of double Nat'ign. it has been running this way now for a number of days and is the most stable I have ever had the network 

Cheers

Andy

View more options

Thanks to Paul and Andy for publishing their solutions.     I’ve just had a chance to sort out my new Vodafone router and  my Apple Extreme,  and have a third way which looks simpler (I’m not clever, just couldn’t do difficult).

The Vodafone router is a Huawei HHG2500 and it doesn’t offer the option to turn off DHCP.   So all I did was turn off wireless,   connect up to my Airport Extreme,  and set that to ‘Bridge’ mode.

Instant success, much to my surprise.  Stable since this morning.   No double NAT reported.   

Works better than the Virgin router I’ve had, set to Modem mode, which did suffer from double NAT (double NAT is apparently not a big problem,  but does produce error reports from the Extreme).

For non-Applers (which seems to include Vodafone) - why bother?  My Apple Extreme (just a router - no modem; no integral disc drive)  has offered AC standard for a while;  with a USB disc plugged in offers WIFI based Time Machine backup;   creates a meshed network with the Apple Express in my kitchen (long narrow house) - and the Express plugs into the kitchen stereo to play anything off an iPhone or iPad.  Expensive, but it works well.

Steve

View more options

And today I read in Bloomberg 'Apple Abandons Development of Wireless Routers'.  

View more options

Guys, today i manged to get my username and password from Vodafone complaints department.  Own router now.

View more options
hbz

Hi - that's great!

Who did you call?

Who did you ask to speak to?

What did you say/ask to get it?

Thank you for any advice!

View more options

Saved me some time, so thank you @Paul_NI. I used the same technique to set up the Netgear Orbi - for vastly improved WiFi.

View more options
OJD 2: Seeker

In the same situation - there is problem with Vodafone's router, Port 8088 is open and insecure and Vodafone are just not interested. Asked if I can use a 3rd party VDSL modem given their fault and got no where.

View more options

Hi Paul

I also have a new VF router and a great Orbi set-up which worked well with my previous Virgin modem.

I've managed to get my User ID and password from the VF contact centre.

I thought it would be simple enough to get into the router settings and disable the router and just use it as a modem which the Orbi can connect to...but I can't get that to work.

Could you share the steps you took to get yourOrbi to work with the VF router? Thanks

View more options

Hi RomeoJuliet

I also have a new VF router and a great Orbi set-up which worked well with my previous Virgin modem.

I've managed to get my User ID and password from the VF contact centre.

I thought it would be simple enough to get into the router settings and disable the router and just use it as a modem which the Orbi can connect to...but I can't get that to work.

Could you share the steps you took to get yourOrbi to work with the VF router?

FYI I've aslo asked Paul_NI.

Thanks

View more options