Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Price comparison sites claim synchronous speeds

shadebug
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

First time posting so apologies if I'm doing anything wrong.

I've been looking for broadband for the flat I'm about to move into and multiple price comparison sites are saying vodafone will do a 100Mb/s up and down subscription. Now, obviously I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near that but even if it's only that some of the time then that's amazing. The vodafone website itself says only up to 17Mb/s up and the woman on the phone just looked at the website and then sounded like she gave up on life.

So, does anybody know if the upload is only capped on paper and actually can be much higher in practice or is vodafone just lying to the aggregators?

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Any of the synchronous speed will be provided by CityFibre full fibre connections, so if that is available at the premises you are considering, that is what you will get. Unfortunately flats are often not able to be "fibered" due to permission problems. When using comparison sites it's always best to use a phone number and not just a post code, for the above reason.

It's a bottom floor of a house so hopefully I'll get lucky on that front, I'm far more interested in what that up speed will be

Jayach

You may be O.K. then, but there are often problems as you are not the freeholder.

If they are quoting the same speed up and down it will probably be CityFibre as the Openreach FTTP is asynchronous. Might be worth seeing if CityFidre say they provide to that address. Home | CityFibre

They do not provide to that address so it must be openreach

Jayach

The Openreach checker is here: Fibre First: Your future with broadband | Openreach

Have you actually checked on the Vodafone site directly, rather than through the comparison sites. Once you know exactly what they will offer, you can use the comparison sites to see if any vouchers/offers are available. Best Broadband Deals | Home Broadband | Vodafone

Yeah, as I said in the OP, the vodafone website says asynchronous but I was hoping the comparison sites were getting a different deal instead of just lies

Jayach

@shadebug wrote:

Yeah, as I said in the OP, the vodafone website says asynchronous but I was hoping the comparison sites were getting a different deal instead of just lies

Sorry I missed that.

The only thing comparison sites give you is deal prices/vouchers, they always pass you through to the actual ISP site to sign up, so you can never get different services.