Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 & Fibre 900 performance

Ryanshernut
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

i currently have fibre 900 and the speeds via ethernet are great. However the wifi lends to dissapointment. I have a super wifi booster and the xbox that is connected to the booster does achieve speeds of 988mbps through ethernet, any wireless device fails to achieve anywhere near this. iPhones, Macbooks etc all have in the region of 300-570mbps max which is still impressive but i do wonder if there are limitations to the vodafone system compared to third party or rival companies. I do know that when im connected to a Virgin Media 900 wifi my phone does get the download speeds.

I am a pro customer and have spoken to wifi xperts who have updated the router and settings but then go on to tell me that it is down to interference yet my booster can deliver the correct download speed over wifi to my xbox!? 

Anybody else have this issue? Is it a limitation with wifi5?

Ryan

14 REPLIES 14

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

It is a limitation of wifi5. With a connection at 1200Mbps it's rare to see transfer exceed 800Mbps or so. Factor in distance and..... as you've seen. 

Thanks for this, surely VF should have given me a suitable device such as the new powerhub (which I believe is wifi6 and is issued with standard fibre 900 plans) when I upgraded my speed then? 

Ripshod

No, you have to order a higher tier for a better router. Did you order the pro 900 as s new customer as a new customer or was it an upgrade?New Pro customers should get the wifi6 I'm sure. 

Existing customer upgrade

Ripshod

Aah, you've fallen foul of vodafone ineptitude then. They think the existing router is good enough, but we know better and they won't accept it. It's like shouting at a wall sometimes. Wifi Xperts? Yeah right!

Do you need the booster to extend the range? As that's wifi6 you could just turn the WiFi off on the router. 

Not really know, they sent it out in reponse to my question on speed, if I turn the wifi off on the router will the booster still work? i didnt know you could do that

CrimsonLiar

To be fair even with a 1200Mbps AX data rate on a laptop and an Asus AiMesh unit connected to more than capable router the throughput might be less that you would expect.
Quick test on a laptop that's not got the best WiFi speeds in the house.
Ethernet:                 918/106
WiFi>Router:            700/101
WiFi>Mesh:              273/101

*WiFi is pretty noisy here at the moment, so if probably could still be a little better in a quieter environment.

Ripshod

You can only try it. Essentially the booster is an extension of the router but the WiFi should stay active (I say should, this is Vodafone we're talking about). 

Jayach

If you turn off the Wi-Fi in the router, there will surely be nothing for the booster to connect to. These are not mesh units with their own network.

Which booster do you have, the grey one that looks a bit like the THG3000? I don't believe that is Wi-Fi 6.