Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT call blocking phone. Doesn’t accept # from incoming calls to screen calls

ZOBBY1
4: Newbie

Hi. Not sure where the issue lies. Recently our BT call blocking phones

Have stopped screening calls successfully. Essentially what happens is that when unknown callers ring and announce their voice and press the # key the # doesn’t seem to be recognised and it keeps asking and ultimately rejecting the call. I’m on fttp with voip via Vodafone. I’m pretty sure that it used to work following my transfer to Vodafone but I can be 100%. I’ve tried resetting everything and switching everything on and off again. Workaround is disabling call screening which obviously isn’t ideal. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Can’t work out if it’s the call blocking phones which are relatively new or the landline service. Many thanks for any advice!  

14 REPLIES 14

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

That's a bt calling feature. Vodafone don't offer any calling features on their network so I can't see that ever working. 

I think it’s all handled on the handset. I’m pretty sure it used to work ok until recently. 

Jayach

I think there are two types of BT blocking, one is online, the other built into the phone.

Call Protect - 'How to...' guide | BT Help (obviously only available on a BT line)

Advanced Phone 100% Nuisance Call Blocker | BT Help

So, what BT phone system do you have?

Jayach

In that case, yes, I would expect it all to be handled within the phone/base station. Is it possible the # key is simply not working?

I don’t think so. Just to clarify it’s when a remote caller rings our number. There’s an automated message from the handsets  that say please say your name and press the hash key. When any caller presses their hash key rather than acknowledge it - the automated message just repeats. This happens from any unknown callers phone. I’m basically trying to work out if it’s the handsets or if there’s something unusual with the vf line service that could be the root cause. 

Jayach

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you meant you were unable to accept the caller once the system gave you their name.

I can't see quite how the Vodafone system could be causing it as by then the call is setup and the BT base station will be waiting for the tone produced by the callers handset to finish recording their name and playing it back to you.

Unless the hash tone is being distorted by the digitising of the analogue sound by the VoIP.

(I'm presuming it works on analogue sound, as I can't see any way the the remote phone could be digitally connected to your BT handset.)

Perhaps you could ask BT if they have any experience of their handsets if used on VoIP.

Yeah I agree. It seems unlikely that the line is the issue. I’ll see what BT say about it. Thanks for responding. 🙂

Interestingly BT think it might be the Vodafone VoIP system not recognising the # tone. We may have a stand off. 🙂