main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Mobile Broadband

Suitable data SIM for small rural church contactless donation unit

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Our rural church has a contactless donation device that needs a 3G data connection to function.  It uses less than 200MB per month but will provide the opportunity for visitors to make small donations.  We really need a cheap data SIM with a long expiry on it so that the costs of the SIM do not use up the value of the donations.  What should we use?  For info, we do not have a landline, broadband or wi-fi access and could not use a tethered phone because of the risk of theft.  Vodafone is the only carrier with 3G coverage in the area.

View more options
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Vodafone has Payg options such as Payg1 or a Big Value Bundle and do data only sims if that helps @Seeker001 

data-only-sim 

Vodafone Payg. 

A Payg sim needs some activity every 270 days to remain active.

i.e Data use / top ups / calls and texts.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @Seeker001 

The problem is going to be this won't come cheap.  Having searched the website I can't see anywhere where Vodafone sell PAYG data SIM's without purchasing a dongle or data device and, of course, you only want the SIM to use in your device.  This information is here: Vodafone PAYG Data Dongle.Even though the PAYG data last for 90 days the cost is going to exceed any donations you may receive.

I have done some searching for you and have found this from Vodafone https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/business-mobile-plans/mobile-plan-features/paypal-here-and-mobil...

It would also be worth looking around the internet, there are third party companies offering a contactless payment device with a SIM.

The Social Media Team will get to this thread, they may have some better recommendation.

I hope you receive a lot of donations for your worthy cause. 

edited to add. I have just been looking at Voxi for you here: Voxi still Vodafone, although you would be able to use the SIM in your donation device, certainly does not come cheap.

View more options