main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

EU Roaming - Is Data Being Throttled? - Autumn 2018

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

It appears Vodafone are throttling data speeds again in Europe. I used to get 4G every time I went abroad. Now it seems that it is being restricted to 3G. Is anyone else having this issue?
I have tried speaking with VF tech team and tried everything suggested. The problem exists on all operators and in all regions I have been in during September 2018.
VF insist they are not throttling, well they would, wouldn't they? Funny how this happens close to upgrade time.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update:
Big thanks to Ali from VF Egypt. He resolved my issue and I now have full 4G connectivity. Yesterday was 7Mb and today is 112Mb. 

The solution? He put a block on my roaming and then removed it again. This reset all the connectivity. I was also getting some numbers blocked when dialling as well and they are now unblocked.

I have also updated my APN to the latest full 4G proxy settings.

For those that are interested

Proxy is 212.183.137.012

Port is 8799

Username: web

Hopefully it will help others in the same situation.

Password: web

View more options
10 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi @Andy1936 I have travelled to Spain and Greece this summer and had no issues with throttling, 4G no problem. 

View more options

Hi @63johnw 
Good to know, thanks for the post. My issues have been in Germany and Poland. I will try to test in other countries this month during my travels.

View more options

Is it possible it's the host network at issue @Andy1936

Current Phone > Samsung Note9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
12: Established

What speeds are you getting?

Last weekend I was roaming in Sweden. 266Meg on EE, 16Meg on Vodafone.

Both perfectly usable though.

View more options

Hi @BandOfBrothers

I have tried this on different networks. All the same speed. I get a maximum of 7.2Mb, which I would have been delighted with 2 years ago. However, the Vodafone promise is for 4G roaming which clearly this isn't.

View more options

Hi chistery

I get a maximum of 7.2Mb now, where before I was getting between 20 and 30Mb.

This is fine for general everyday browsing, but page loading is noticably slower and streaming gets interupted occassionally now.

View more options

Update:
Big thanks to Ali from VF Egypt. He resolved my issue and I now have full 4G connectivity. Yesterday was 7Mb and today is 112Mb. 

The solution? He put a block on my roaming and then removed it again. This reset all the connectivity. I was also getting some numbers blocked when dialling as well and they are now unblocked.

I have also updated my APN to the latest full 4G proxy settings.

For those that are interested

Proxy is 212.183.137.012

Port is 8799

Username: web

Hopefully it will help others in the same situation.

Password: web

View more options

Where does VF Egypt fit into all this?

View more options

Hi @chistery Vodafone have a call centre in Egypt for customer services

View more options

Ah that makes sense, so still Vodafone UK then.

View more options