Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor signal since 3g switch off

JAMESORCHARD
10: Established
10: Established

Any one else got poor service/signal since 3g switch off? Think vodafone 3g switch off is a step backwards. My s22 ultra is always warm from always searching for signal since 3g switch off! Before I could get a steady 8mbps now I'm either getting nothing or  rarely 150mbps when 5g appears I've got to put my phone on silent at night to stop all the no service notifications 😑 poor show vodafone I'd rather have a reliable signal than this occasionally 1bar 4g or 1bar 5g

99 REPLIES 99

fastlane
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

You're not alone! Mine is dreadful

22karlo
3: Seeker

Yes, terrible...Vodafone not interested

Tom5865
6: Helper
6: Helper

My phone service has been dreadful since the switch off. Seems to be an area Vodafone have decided they don’t want to cover (despite saying it’s a 5g area on the network checker).

My wife’s contract was up so rang up for the PAC code, no arguing, didn’t even ask why I was leaving, sent a text with it in and that was that. 15+ years of being with them gone. She’s now with EE with a strong 5g service. Il be moving as soon as my contract is up. The way Vodafone have dealt with the switch off has been shocking, and with them being so ready to loose loyal customers, seems like they have factored it in. 

After complaining hundreds of times with the CEO office, they told me to leave. I did, I also moved to EE, the network I was first on. The second I did, my non existent speed went to 300mbps on 4G. I haven’t looked back since! Good riddance Vodafone. 

efelmer

I have a work phone on Vodafone. Trying to complain to Vodafone either by telephone or chat is like pulling teeth. They make it so convoluted and difficult to get through to someone thats going take ownership.
Anyways, same issue. I live in whats supposed to be the largest village in England with a catchment area of >12K people. In some fringe areas there is 4G coverage, but since they turned off 3G which was all we had in most of the village, I just have Edge now.
I travel a fair bit for work and its not just an issue where I live. Anywhere between areas of population, smaller places, edges of towns all I get nowadays is Edge. Its absolutely appalling service from Vodafone.
Do Vodafone have a plan to address this?
Are OFCOM not getting involved to force operators to pull their finger out and get at least 4G in all areas previously covered by 3G?

@efelmer wrote:

Are OFCOM not getting involved to force operators to pull their finger out and get at least 4G in all areas previously covered by 3G?

Network-specific design issues can also impact this, some MNO's were in a much better place to handle 3G switch-off than  others.

Ofcom will very rarely get involved in local coverage issues, their interest is predominantly in national coverage targets.

Oh well, solved my issue with Voda data coverage by leaving them for EE! I got a 1 month EE SIM to test, and their 4G coverage in my locality is 70% better. I now have 4G data everywhere when I walk the dog, in my village centre, and when travelling between villages. Shame on you Voda...

Racal-Yodafone
4: Newbie

Where I live, when 3G was switched off, the situation remained good because prior to switch-off, my handset was normally connected to 4G anyway and the 4G signal was good. It was away from home that I noticed the lack of a data connection or, laughably, 2.75G "Edge" which was like being in a time warp back to 20 years ago! BUT... since July, I have been plagued, both at home and when working away from home, with just one or two bars of 4G reception where, previously, I had three or four bars, e.g. full signal. This not a fault with my handset as I have two, both from different manufacturers, and both, since July, have only one or two bars of reception on 4G for most of the time and in most locations. So what's going on? All I can think of is that some of the 4G antennas are being used for 5G NSA, thus reducing the capacity for those with either 4G handsets or those who opt to only use their 5G capable handsets with 4G. I have concerns about: 1) Greater battery drain and 2) Bleeding edge security risk with 5G and so both my 5G handsets are manually restricted to 4G. I have zero need for 5G data speeds but I have great need, when out doing my job, working alone in safety critical areas and with high risk data, for a battery that lasts all day. I think all the networks, in their race to please the perceived demand, don't realise that 4G is enough for a large percentage of people. 3G was probably enough for a large percentage of people! Hope this info is useful, inasmuch as the 3G switch-off didn't affect me at the time but, since July 2024, 4G has dwindled to one or two bars almost all the time and almost everywhere. Use of more 4G antennas for 5G NSA, or something similar or akin to that, is all I can think of, unless Vodafone has turned the power down but I'm sure that's impractical and unlikely. Meanwhile my third handset, for my other job, which is on O2, has a great 3G and 4G signal almost all the time.

@Racal-Yodafone wrote:

Use of more 4G antennas for 5G NSA, or something similar or akin to that, is all I can think of

There may be some frequency reallocation to 5G, but the issues you're seeing are significantly caused by 3G switchoff.

Quite simply, there are numerous locations where the only serving site was either carrying 3G-frequencies solus, or 4G only on high-bands with 3G on low-bands thus having a greater footprint. The resolution is either to add 4G to those sites, or at the vert least add low-band 4G to match the low-band 3G footprint.

You mention O2 having a great 3G signal, this is nothing to be proud of in the industry but hopefully with them being the last network to switch 3G off, and having a broadly similar network design to VF, they will take some learnings into their sunset programme.

Thank you, sir! I appreciate your reply and the detailed information. I agree, let's hope O2 learn from Vodafone's handling of the 3G switch-off before their own switch-off, scheduled for next year, 2025, I have subsequently found out.