Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor signal since 3g switch off

JAMESORCHARD
5: Helper

Any one else got poor service/signal since 3g switch off? Think vodafone 3g switch off is a step backwards. My s22 ultra is always warm from always searching for signal since 3g switch off! Before I could get a steady 8mbps now I'm either getting nothing or  rarely 150mbps when 5g appears I've got to put my phone on silent at night to stop all the no service notifications 😑 poor show vodafone I'd rather have a reliable signal than this occasionally 1bar 4g or 1bar 5g

74 REPLIES 74

PSReady
3: Seeker

The real question is when are Voda going to turn off the 2G EDGE network? I presume it’s still on due to a government contract or similar.  I’ve just been sitting stationary at one of the South East’s busiest rail junctions near Lewisham and the 4G/5G 1 bar service automatically makes the phone switch to 4 bar EDGE, not surprisingly.  Poor share price means low investment and we’re all paying for it.  Vodafone UK used to be so great. Such a shame. 

@PSReady wrote:

The real question is when are Voda going to turn off the 2G EDGE network?..... the 4G/5G 1 bar service automatically makes the phone switch to 4 bar EDGE,

Not for very many years yet. One of the fundamental premises of the 3G switch-off is that whilst 4G is a more capable tech, 2G provides a voice & text service for non-4G phones.

Your issue of "4bar EDGE" being preferred to "1 bar 4G/5G" is not a technology issue, it's a VF choice of how to configure their selection criteria. Other operators configure their network to prefer the 4G/5G in this scenario, providing the signal is deemed usable.

Thank you, that all makes sense. Very interesting about being able to configure which one (2G/4G/5G)  takes priority. I wonder why they would prioritise 2G in this situation?

fastlane
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

You're not alone! Mine is dreadful

22karlo

Yes, terrible...Vodafone not interested