cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Beware "EVENTVWR scam" - Indian telemarketers calling in as BT tech support.

GavinS
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Please be aware that there are Indian scammers calling (no caller ID) in pretending to be BT tech support trying to remove malware from your PC to speed up the network. This did not ring true so I typed in "EVENTVWR" in Google. The posts confirmed my suspicions. This is or was apparently a huge problem in Australia. 

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Unfortunately this has been going on for some time.

I recieved a call advising me I had lots of harmful virus and malware on my computer.

They said i needed to do exactly as they said to clear them off my Windows Computer.

Funny I said , I use a Mac.

The call suddenly ended.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I've always found "I think we both know what the penalty is for fraud in your country" to be very effective :Cry_Laughing:

Yes this is a big problem and unfortunately there are a lot of people who fall for it. These scammers will get you to download a program that will the scammer to remotely access your pc and persuade you to go on your online banking where they will end up sucking you dry of all your money.

If any of you find these actions deplorable, go on YouTube and search for something like 'scammers get scammed' where some people who have the technical skills to pretend to be an idiot waiting to be conned and then turns the tables on them by remotely accessing the scammers pc whereby they wipe their systems completely! 😉